Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cyberq or stoker wifi

i am going to be getting one of these for christmas from my family i am just wondering what one was better? i want to be able to leave my house and check the low and slows. and also be able to leave the home network alone so can be on the computer at the same time.

let me know everyones thoughts on what you have

Comments

• I can only speak for the Stoker......I have had mine for over 3 years and I love it....I also have the older model
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    If you have the money, get the Stoker WiFi.  It controls three devices.  All the networked devices operate the same - you don't have to stop using the internet on your computer.
    ttexxan Posts: 51
    edited December 2012
    I have the Cyber Q and love it. You dont lose the internet if you set it up correctly.  I have used on many smokes and keeps to exact temps.  It takes all the guess work out.  I use my iphone/ipad and other computers if needed to monitor with no issues.  It has 3 meat probes and a Pit probe.  The Stoker only has 1 meat prob

No brainer IMO...1 meat prob or 3??  Go with the Cyber Q
  • mwraulst
    mwraulst Posts: 131

i have the cyber q and love it as well. The best thing about it is that you get the great tasting q without having to be there. Lets face it different cuts, sizes and meats all cook different, all come out of the stall at different times. I can't always be home for 8 hours to monitor the smoker. I can set it up the night before and watch AND CONTROL my temp, time, meat temp from work. My favorite feature is the ramp down feature. Where it buys you about 3 or more hours of time if you get held up somewhere. The ramp feature lowers the grill temp as the meat reaches the done temp you set. You can also increase or decrease the temp on the grill via phone/ipad/tablet. There have been more than several occasions when i had the ramp feature turned off and saw that i would not be home in time to pull as it came close to done. Instead i just whipped out the phone and turned the grate temp down on the grill from work, came home 1.5 hours later and everything was perfect.

I would have only considered the stoker if i had more than one egg to control. I don't see another egg  coming into my life for another 5 or so years. Technology doubles in speed about every 6 months, so im fairly certain the temp controllers will only get better and i'll likely want something new by then.

Part of my initial bias towards the stoker was their delay in rolling out the software. I had the opportunity to play with one and felt the software/interface was more outdated than that of the guru. The customer service is also great with guru as i'm sure it is with stoker.

See if you can get your hands on both to play with.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited December 2012
    ttexxan said:

I have the Cyber Q and love it. You dont lose the internet if you set it up correctly.  I have used on many smokes and keeps to exact temps.  It takes all the guess work out.  I use my iphone/ipad and other computers if needed to monitor with no issues.  It has 3 meat probes and a Pit probe.  The Stoker only has 1 meat prob

No brainer IMO...1 meat prob or 3??  Go with the Cyber Q
    Using my stoker, I have controlled 2 fans, 2 temp probes and 4 meat probes off my one unit for a big cook I had. With that, probes shouldn't be the deciding factor since that clearly is not a issue.

Make a decision based on the interface and cost.

I LOVE my Stoker. I probably like it more because I'm a geeky IT nerd, so being able to monitor and change temp settings from my office is ideal for me.

**based off @mwraulst post, you can do that with the cyber q too so I honestly don't see a wrong decision here. Good luck!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    I'm an unhappy BBQ Guru (wifi) owner, simply because I've yet to be able to successfully set it up so that I can control it away from home.

Other than that, it's great for what it does. I just can't use it to its full ability until that's solved. I've spent countless hours, no luck.

Has a software update been released lately by chance?
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited December 2012
    JWBurns said:

I'm an unhappy BBQ Guru (wifi) owner, simply because I've yet to be able to successfully set it up so that I can control it away from home.

Other than that, it's great for what it does. I just can't use it to its full ability until that's solved. I've spent countless hours, no luck.

Has a software update been released lately by chance?

Did you open a port on your router? Are you accessing the correct external address?

There are many variables and all must be configured so your firewall allows access externally.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • nolaegghead
    It's a router issue 99.99% of the time if you can see it on your local network.
    Take that to the sixth sigma, Chebyshev, and you are getting a little closer to the real number.
  • No issues with mine connecting away from home with the Cyber Q...Just have to make sure your router is setup right.  You can also have it email you alerts and config to do so
  • nolaegghead

Take that to the sixth sigma, Chebyshev, and you are getting a little closer to the real number.
    I interviewed a candidate for a project manager at work.  Her resume said "Member of 6 sigma".  I asked her what the precision of 6 sigma actually was in percent (I had to look it up before hand).  She didn't know.

I interviewed a candidate for a project manager at work.  Her resume said "Member of 6 sigma".  I asked her what the precision of 6 sigma actually was in percent (I had to look it up before hand).  She didn't know.
    I am 99.99966% sure you didn't hire her.
  • nolaegghead
    edited December 2012
    You're right.  I didn't.  But my boss did.  I'm shooting for 6 sigma successful cooks on the egg.  I think I've set the bar too high.
    You're right.  I didn't.  But my boss did.  I'm shooting for 6 sigma successful cooks on the egg.  I think I've set the bar too high.
    I sure am glad GE did in the 90"s.

Too bad my OTR microwave didn't get the memo.
  • nolaegghead
    Yeah, this person worked at GE.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GE Profile- as in Profile of a POS machine with fancy lettering on the front. F'ing Magnetron went after 2 years and their "5-year warranty" will "only" set me back $230 to fix. I can do it myself for $100(but then I'll void the warranty! The horror!!!)

You have won the internets today for making mine.
  • nolaegghead
    I guess unlucky you got one of the 0.00033% of their production line that was defective.....  ;)
    edited December 2012
    Indeed. Do a google search of this problem with GE's. They must have a massive market share! 

The saddest part: I tried to reheat "meat and bean stew" for 12 mniutes(2 min x 6) praying that it wasn't the G@!!%@%$$@#% magnetron. It didn't work.

:-<
  • muttin
    muttin Posts: 45
    well i went with the cyberQ i am sure both of them are great but i decided on the Q