Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jerky

Has anyone here attempted beef jerky on the egg. If so how did you do it and what recipe did you use.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Since i own a mini i just did 10lbs last week on my brown egg, terracotta pot smoker. I found it does best when i took the time and had it hanging from the grate { lots of toothpicks).
    As far as recipe i followed none, its easy with mix of soy sauce, brown sugar or honey, pepper.. add what u like and marinate 24 hrs. I even added hot sauce to one batch and it added a kick.

Will be doing more soon, the 10lbs was before drying, i might have ended up with 3 afterward.
    Seattle, WA
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited December 2012
    Here my post from a few years ago, just did another batch 2 weeks ago, turned out great...

This is marinade I used:
    1/4 c. white sugar
    1/4 c. brown sugar
    1/8 c. kosher salt
    1/4 c. tender quick
    1/2 c. honey
    1/4 c. Country Bob's all purpose sauce
    1 T. garlic powder
    2 T. favorite rub
    1 T. cayenne pepper
    2 c. water 

About 2 1/2 lbs. of Top Round sliced at 1/4". Ended up with about 1 1/2 lbs. after shrinkage. I used the DigiQ set to 165. Worked great. Marinated for about a day. Started taking jerky off the top rack after about 3 hours. Stuff on the bottom took a total of 6 hours. Next time I'll rotate the racks throughout the cook as we all know it is hotter at the top. Overall it turned out really good.
    ry%3D315

ry%3D400

ry%3D400
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Very simple, but very good recipe-

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1 teaspoon garlic powder

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sause

1 lb. lean meat

Make sure you add wood for smoke. Use the lowest heat you can hold. I try to keep dome at 200* and it takes about 4-5 hours depending on how thick I cut it.

I did some goose breasts a few weeks back that came out great.

• esdd
    esdd Posts: 44
    Just did about 2lbs Sunday. I used a top round roast, chilled until nearly frozen and then sliced into strips, tossed the strips into a gallon zippy bag and marinated overnight in spicy allegro. The jerky turned out great. I draped the strips over the wire rack and cooked for about 4 hours indirect as low as I could, about 200 deg. I have a deer promised to me and plan to make jerky from the back straps.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

How do you know when the jerky is done? And do you cut the meat with the grain or across it?

I was pantry scrounging the other day and came across to jerky spice kits I had totally forgotten about that I want to use now.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I dry it until it's about 50-60% lighter (from moisture loss).  There are people that do 75%, but I find that too dry and chewy for my taste.  You can weigh a piece if you like, or just eat some now and then and stop when it has a dryness you like.

I cut across the grain.  There's another camp that does with the grain.  You find it sold both ways.
    take a piece off the smoker and into the fridge for 10 to 15 minutes then sample it, its a better test than when warm. i like it with the grain. been too long since ive made it, maybe this weekend
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I wonder if a butcher would cut for you

• nolaegghead
    ttexxan said:

I wonder if a butcher would cut for you

Maybe - you want every bit of fat removed from the outside before it's cut.  Fat goes rancid on jerky after some time, so you generally want to remove it, and it's easier to remove before you slice. 

Adding pink salt, storing in an air tight container or refrigerating keeps that problem at bay - I do like the taste of a little fat in my jerky, but traditionally it should be very lean.
    edited December 2012
    I like using top round.   Any lean roast will work.  And it doesn't have to be beef.  Chicken, turkey, pork, deer, elk, duck, etc. all have been made in to jerky for thousands of years.
    Whale is good also

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    I hear it tastes like frog legs

How do you know when the jerky is done? And do you cut the meat with the grain or across it?

I was pantry scrounging the other day and came across to jerky spice kits I had totally forgotten about that I want to use now.

I go by "look" to tell when its done.  You'll know it when its "done".

I've cut my own a few times but it's too hard to get it uniform unless you have your own slicer.
    I have my local grocery store (Festival Foods) butcher cut it for me.  Any butcher will do it for you.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• ttexxan said:
    I am still learning meats, what would be the best to get in meat selection.  Thanks for comments so far
    Top Round.
    Packerland, Wisconsin