Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Deep dish CI Pizza

Made a deep dish pizza in a cast iron pan last night.  

Dough recipe here - http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/10/new-york-style-pizza.html - I used 50% King Arthur Bread Flour / 50% KA Sir Lancelot High Gluten flour, and substituted room temp beer for 1/2 the water.  This pie used 1/2 of the dough, which was made on Saturday (other 1/2 used for NY style pizza on Sunday).  

To build the pizza:  Coat pan with olive oil.  Removed dough from fridge, place in pan & cover with plastic wrap for about 2 hours to warm / rise.  Flatten dough to edge of pan.  Top pizza  with crushed san marzano tomatoes, oregano, garlic salt, pre-cooked mushrooms, mozzarella and trader joe's shredded 4 cheese blend (parm, romano, asiago & ??). Egged at 450 for about 24 minutes.  Removed from pan to cool for about 5 minutes before cutting and serving.   SWMBO was very happy, which makes life good.

Many thanks to @zippylip for the inspiration in this thread - http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1248845/#Comment_1248845
LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Looks good.  Sounds like you gathered up the right stuff to do it right.
    Man, all these pizza's are making me drool and wanting to try one myself.  I'm a bit intimidated by the making of my own dough though.  Is that the secret to the success of all these cooks?  Is there any way to accomplish a good pizza on the Egg with a store bought pizza dough?  TIA.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited December 2012
    YEMTrey said:

Man, all these pizza's are making me drool and wanting to try one myself.  I'm a bit intimidated by the making of my own dough though.  Is that the secret to the success of all these cooks?  Is there any way to accomplish a good pizza on the Egg with a store bought pizza dough?  TIA.

For sure...but it's very very easy to make your dough so make your own.

Do you have a stand mixer?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Yes.  Have a nice kitchen aid mixer.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• YEMTrey said:

Here is a super easy dough that is a great place to start: 
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/pizza-dough-recipe/index.html

Edina, MN

• cazzy
    YEMTrey said:

Aight, don't want to high jack the op's thread anymore than I already have so ill IM you a fool proof recipe.
  • cazzy
    edited December 2012
    I also used zippys pie as inspiration! I like the circular cooling rack you rested your pie on. Great job...looks great!!
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Circular rack I used for cooling is a pizza screen (I'm a heretic on NY style pie and use it as a crutch).

Feel free to converse on dough recipes, it's still a work in progress for me.  I started out using dough balls from Trader Joe, but found those hard to stretch and decided to try making some myself.  The recipe I linked to is fairly simple and I mixed the dough as suggested in a food processor.  My tweaks (flour & beer) were experimental based on some reading over on the pizzamaking.com forums; the rise was definitely more substantial using beer than with water alone.
  • cazzy
    This is what I sent yem:

500g 00 flour (or bread flour as 2nd option)
    325g water
    10g salt
    3g yeast

Add dry ingredients to your KA and mix with a spoon so they're incorporated. Add water and mix with spoon to get rid of any water puddles. Let it rest for 20 min so it can autolyze.

Next add dough hook and mix on speed 2 for about 7-10 min until you have a well formed ball.

Pull out of your mixer and work into a ball and place in a oiled bowl, loosely cover and let it proof for 90 minutes.

Cut into 2 or 3 equal parts and throw in separate tupperware bowls or cookie sheet. Cover tightly and sprinkle flour on top if you're covering with plastic wrap.

It gets better as it rests in the fridge so 24 hours is great and it can be used up to about 4 days.

This is mainly based off this recipe:

http://www.fornobravo.com/PDF/Using-caputo-tipo00.pdf
  • cazzy
    I've heard the food processor can make pretty good dough...especially for NY style. It does more cutting instead of folding, but kneading by hand after pulling it out can finish it off nicely. Definitely a cheaper alternative if you don't have a stand mixer.
  • cazzy
    I guess I need to add pizza screen to my list. Picking one of these up too:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008A755FA/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1354747524&sr=8-11&pi=SL75
  • nolaegghead
    cazzy said:
    I guess I need to add pizza screen to my list. Picking one of these up too: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008A755FA/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1354747524&sr=8-11&pi=SL75
    That has a 4' long handle to get deep into wood pizza ovens.

cazzy said:

I guess I need to add pizza screen to my list. Picking one of these up too:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008A755FA/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1354747524&sr=8-11&pi=SL75

That has a 4' long handle to get deep into wood pizza ovens.

Well maybe I plan to build a pizza oven Nola. :P

Okay okay good point...they have a 20 inch version too!

• MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    From what I've gathered, the issue with using a food processor is the heat build up in the dough, which can negatively impact the yeast.  I pulse until a good ball forms, then hand knead a few times before balling.

For NY style, I typically stretch the dough and then build the pizza on the screen, and put the pizza on screen onto the hot stone.  Somewhere around 1/2 way through the cook, when I spin the pizza 180 degrees for even cooking, I try to pull the screen (run a spatula under the pizza to separate it from the screen) to get a crisper crust; to take the pizza off the egg, I just slide the screen back under the pizza, and slip it all off the egg together.  The BGE grid lifter works well for pushing the screen (screen is so thin it's tough to get a good grip for pulling), and use a pair of welding gloves for protection. 
  • nolaegghead
    Hahah...I was just wondering why it cost so much....

I have my peel in the oven right now....the damn polyurethane is still tacky from yesterday - I'm force-drying it.  Anyway, it'll handle a 16.5' diameter pizza.  But it's not designed (because of the finish) to pick 'em up hot, just conveyor belt the floppy dough onto the stone.

Hahah...I was just wondering why it cost so much....

I have my peel in the oven right now....the damn polyurethane is still tacky from yesterday - I'm force-drying it.  Anyway, it'll handle a 16.5' diameter pizza.  But it's not designed (because of the finish) to pick 'em up hot, just conveyor belt the floppy dough onto the stone.

This thing just works and I only need one peel with this.

http://youtu.be/EfAWPub3z3s

The super peel is great for picking up and putting on product but you need a 2nd peel to remove the hot pie or you'll ruin your cloth.

Your peel is a thing of beauty...you got mad skills bro!
  • nolaegghead
    Thanks cazzy.....man that peel in the video works great - probably also great for swatting massive flies
    Another video...explaining the concept and benefits.  also shows how fast the guy works his dough by hand...stupid fast.

• I used to have a bread machine that had a pizza dough setting.  It would actually do all the work and even rise the dough.  It was ready to pull out and use.  Problem is machine broke and have not replaced.  Any one else use bread machine
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    OK folks, how do you get the vid links to work on here? I click on the arrow & nuttin happens ??  :-w

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    @ttexxan - I've used a bread machine to make dough before and its worked pretty good, but I got a batch of Zippy's dough doing a cold rise inthe fridge as we speak.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• ttexxan said:
    I used to have a bread machine that had a pizza dough setting.  It would actually do all the work and even rise the dough.  It was ready to pull out and use.  Problem is machine broke and have not replaced.  Any one else use bread machine
    I use a bread machine because A) I'm lazy and there's virtually no clean-up required and B)  It makes pretty darn good dough.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014