Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long for 3 pork butts?

Quick question!

I've been asked to smoke three pork butts for a church function...10 to 12 lbs each. I have a large egg. I know cooking time varies, and I know I should cook to temp, but will three cook in the same amount of time as one, or do I allow more time? I'll be cooking indirect at 250-275 dome.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    In my experience, they will all cook individually. Every butt is different. A good rule of thumb is 1 1/2 - 2 hours per pound. Just did one this past weekend using the Italian dressing recipe that is floating around on this site. The results were excellent. One of the best butts I have ever cooked. Maybe one of the reasons is that I didn't pull and FTC until the internal temp was 202. Good luck.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • So if each of them are 10 lbs...30 lbs total, by your explanation, it will still only take 1.5 to 2 hours per lb or 15 to 20 hours total. Did I understand that correctly? I've never cooked more than one.
  • ttexxan
    ttexxan Posts: 51
    edited December 2012
    Yes you have to figure the time per pound. Get meat probes for each. I did two butts where one read a temp of 195 ready to pull off egg while other still at 175. Left 175 on till reached 195 pulling temp.m go off your temp
  • Make absolutely sure to leave 2-3 inches of space between each butt. If they're touching (or even just too close) they will cook more like a single 30 pound hunk and not three 10 pound hunks. Plus you want more surface area exposed for bark production!
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    As long as theyre not touching, remember they will shrink some, and air flow is good they will cook individually. If you cook 3 cookies in your oven is time same as 4 cookies? That's my line of thought.
  • Whether 1 or 4, plan for the same amount of time as if 1. The cookie analogy mentioned above is perfect. One way to help keep the butts from touching is to use wooden kabob skewers. Got the idea from Cen-tex earlier this year. Works great.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Awesome...thanks for all your help.
  • 3 12 pounders on a large, so I'm assuming one will be on a raised grid above the other two.
    The raised one, higher in the dome, will cook faster than the 2 below it. I'd rotate them every 3 hrs.
    I don't think your looking at a 20 hour cook, but they will be done when they are done.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Yes...one will be raised. I'll watch the temps individually. Thank you,

• I've done 4 8-lbers before in a large. 2 at the grid and 2 raised. They finished all over the place, within 1 1/2 hours from 1st to last. One at the grid finished first, followed by the 2 top ones, followed by the last on the grid. Have fun. It'll turn out great.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe