Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Had to Scrub Mickey's Coffee Rub!

So I go to the market to get a couple of ingredients for Mickey's Coffee Rub; Instant Espresso Ground Coffee and Ancho Chili Powder.  Just like a quick offensive football series, I went "3 & Out".  I couldn't believe I got shut out at three markets!  What a bummer!  I'm gonna have to go shopping at my Mom's market for these mysterious ingredients!  You can get just about anything there!

It's just as well anyway.  I had to work on the car today so my grimy hands were not Egg worthy. 

Flint, Michigan

Comments

• For what it's worth, anytime I run into a recipe with instant espresso in it, I just grind up some espresso blend beans in my Rancillio grinder....I use a very fine espresso grind. It always seem to work out fine.

I would have no other use for the instant stuff, so it would just sit around for a long time.

I love a coffee rub on some nice thick chops!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    When I made Mickey's rub, I just used instant dark coffee, and substituted paprika for the ancho.  Turned out great.  Once that rub develops into bark, you can't really even tell it's coffee, so I think there's leeway to substitute there.
  • When I made Mickey's rub, I just used instant dark coffee, and substituted paprika for the ancho.  Turned out great.  Once that rub develops into bark, you can't really even tell it's coffee, so I think there's leeway to substitute there.

Yeah, I was thinking about substitutions.  I have no use for instant coffee and aside for standard Sanka and the mochas and other flavored garbage, neither does anyone else around here.  I would have bought instant dark, but there was none to be had.  The ancho baffled me.

AleBrewer said:

For what it's worth, anytime I run into a recipe with instant espresso in it, I just grind up some espresso blend beans in my Rancillio grinder....I use a very fine espresso grind. It always seem to work out fine.

I would have no other use for the instant stuff, so it would just sit around for a long time.

I love a coffee rub on some nice thick chops!
    You know, I kept looking at the regular espresso beans and grinding them fine, but I was concerned about them adding a gritty texture. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    I thought about the gritty texture of actual beans, but then I thought - hell, we use pepper in everything - it's gotta be tougher than coffee beans, and I love them chocolate covered coffee beans.  Plus, if you run them though a spice grinder, they're basically reduced to dust.  We use finely ground bay leaf over real bay leaves because you don't have to fish them out.
  • I thought about the gritty texture of actual beans, but then I thought - hell, we use pepper in everything - it's gotta be tougher than coffee beans, and I love them chocolate covered coffee beans.  Plus, if you run them though a spice grinder, they're basically reduced to dust.  We use finely ground bay leaf over real bay leaves because you don't have to fish them out.

When you're right, you're right.  Cracked black pepper is an excellent reason to try substituting finely ground beans for the instant.  I also use ground bay leaf in things including a poultry rub I make.  Chocolate covered coffee beans are one of life's simple pleasures, aren't they?  Every once in a while, I get in a mood for a tumbler of Sambuca which is served with three coffee beans floating in it.

Since I have less than a clue about ancho, I have no idea about a substitute for it.  You mentioned paprika, but since I'm unfamiliar with the ingredient (ancho, not paprika ha ha), I'm gonna wait until I can shop at my Mom's market. 

Flint, Michigan
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

Go to an Indian grocery store. Like a ...Bazaar. You will find indian instant coffee called Bru.

All you need. Excellent in a rub and completely dissolves with no grit. It is made out of pure coffee and chicory.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Aviator said:

Go to an Indian grocery store. Like a ...Bazaar. You will find indian instant coffee called Bru.

All you need. Excellent in a rub and completely dissolves with no grit. It is made out of pure coffee and chicory.

Excellent suggestion.  I Googled and found one near me.  I'm completely surprised because this town is chock full of fast food, Coney Islands and pizza joints.  There are a handful of chinese restaurants for those with more sophisticated palates.
    Flint, Michigan
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

Here's the bomb!

Ingredients

• 1 Tbs. finely ground espresso coffee beans
    • 1 Tbs. pure ancho chile powder
    • 1 tsp. natural cocoa powder
    • 1 tsp. granulated garlic
    • 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
    • 1/2 tsp. brown sugar
    • 1/2 tsp. ground fennel seed
    • 1/8 tsp. ground allspice
    • 4 tsp. kosher salt
    • 2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Ok, here's the mysterious ancho chili powder again!  I like fennel seed and the cocoa powder is intriguing.

Flint, Michigan
  • billyray
    Here it is.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • nolaegghead
    billyray said:

Here's the bomb!

Ingredients

• 1 Tbs. finely ground espresso coffee beans
    • 1 Tbs. pure ancho chile powder
    • 1 tsp. natural cocoa powder
    • 1 tsp. granulated garlic
    • 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
    • 1/2 tsp. brown sugar
    • 1/2 tsp. ground fennel seed
    • 1/8 tsp. ground allspice
    • 4 tsp. kosher salt
    • 2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
    cocoa powder - that's a great idea - love the "mole" flavor profile
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    If you have any Latino markets near, they will handle the expresso powder.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Fred, I think you mentioned before that you are in the Detroit area. There is a Penzeys on 13 mile just East of Southfield Rd. They will pretty much have anything you need in the spice world. I think their prices are very reasonable, at least for here in Chicago, and very fresh. You should check it out.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • billyray
    Stargaze said:
    What kind of meat do you use this chili/cocoa rub for?  Or is it all purpose?

All purpose, especially good on ribeye steaks and pork chops.
  • billyray.....thanks for posting the rub. Looks really good, and I'm gonna mix some up as I have all the stuff on hand.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364

Fred,

A local Hispanic market will have whole, dried Ancho chiles.  Toast in a CI skillet a few min until fragrant, deseed and destem, grind.  Once you start experimenting with different chile flavors and heat the flavorless paprika, chile powder, and cayenne will stay on the shelf.  A few of my faves and a little on the milder side of the scoville scale are Ancho, Guajilla, Pasilla, Cascabel, and Aleppo.  Aleppo would be #1, use it on everything.  Couldn't find it locally and purchased from Penzey's.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Fred19Flintstone call me. 254.289.1877
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Thanks for all the responses!  I live in the Flint area and go to the Detroit area every couple of weeks to visit my Mom.  I'll certainly go to Penzey's to check them out.  In the meantime, there is a hispanic market according to google that's about 10 miles away.  I'll give them a shot!

I have to mindfull about heat because Wilma hates spicy.

Flint, Michigan
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited December 2012

You can get good chile flavor without the heat.  Here is a good reference when gauging.  Hot sauces are included, Cholula is 3600.  Ancho is very low at 1000-2000.

http://www.chilliworld.com/FactFile/Scoville_Scale.asp

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887

I also had trouble tracking down ancho chili powder.  I think it was Nolaegghead who told me that regular chili powder is not an acceptable substitute.  I'm glad I asked before trying it.  Once I found the ancho stuff, I sampled it and compared to the standard chili powder...way, way different.  The ancho is mild and smoky, but not terribly spicy. I shudder to think how overpowering the rub would have been if I would have used regular chili powder.

I also agree that a Mexican grocery store is your best bet.  For any fellow Omaha/eastern Nebraska eggheads, go to Jacobo's in east Omaha.  I got a 10oz bag of bulk ancho chili powder for $4.00.  That makes a lot of rub.  Plus, they have homemade burritos, carnitas by the pound, fresh tortillas and chips, as well as the best salsa I've ever had in my life. 

For the instant espresso, I used Medaglia d'Oro.  If you can't track it down in the store, you can find it online.  The link I saw on Amazon sold it in six-packs of jars for about $30.  That's a bit pricey, and would make a ton of coffee rub.  I used it on a turkey breast for Thanksgiving, and it was incredible.  A 5-gallon bucket of coffee rub might seem excessive, until you try it. Then you'll make a second batch.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    SaltySam i buy the ancho in the bulk isle. I use the same expresso you have a picture of. Our stores for the most part carry it. But I am in the middle of Texas.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.