Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza - Spinach and Artichoke

Anybody have a good recipe? The wife wants one of these.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    You can make a bechamel sauce and replace the red sauce.  Use a little pecorino romano or Parmesan, some other white cheese like mozzarella.  Spinach and artichokes.  Whole fresh basil leaves are a nice addition.  You don't really need a recipe, just add (sparingly) whatever ingredients you like.

You can also just use olive oil (infuse with garlic) in place of the white or red sauce.
    You can make a bechamel sauce and replace the red sauce.  Use a little pecorino romano or Parmesan, some other white cheese like mozzarella.  Spinach and artichokes.  Whole fresh basil leaves are a nice addition.  You don't really need a recipe, just add (sparingly) whatever ingredients you like.

You can also just use olive oil (infuse with garlic) in place of the white or red sauce.
    You'z makin me hungry.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nolaegghead
    I'm makin' me hungry ;)

This is another good option - brush on a little olive oil then put down some thinly sliced roma tomatoes (sparingly).  I love fresh tomatoes on a pizza.  Use sparingly because they have a lot of moisture.
    Here is what I would do.

I would thaw a frozen spinach, and drain the water out of it as best as I can.  To drain the water I defrost in the microwave, then push the water out with a potato masher.

I would use a small amount of whatever sauce you like. 

Add cheese, add a layer of spinach, add artichoke hearts, sprinkle small amount of cheese on top.

Cook.

• Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448

These tips sound good, will have to try it. Nola, what is Bechamel sauce??

Thanks.

• My wife likes Spinach, mushroom, artichokes and feta cheese on regular red sauce
    I go with a meatier version, We just put fresh baby spinach leaves (bagged salad kind)
    right on the pie
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • nolaegghead
    Plano_JJ said:

These tips sound good, will have to try it. Nola, what is Bechamel sauce??

Thanks.

It's one of the mother sauces in Italian cooking.  It's used in place of red sauce on artichoke spinach pizzas very frequently.  You can jazz it up by adding garlic, cheese, etc.  Pretty easy to make - takes a little time, good thing to learn to make, because it's very versatile.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Béchamel_sauce