Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Guru First Timer

Options
wts70mc
wts70mc Posts: 5
edited November 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys, I normally lerk and read a lot but seldom post. However I have a question. I just purchased a cyberQ and I am outside using it for the first time. I'm a bit confused when it comes to the daisy wheel. When I'm getting started and getting the egg up to temp do I take the daisy wheel off all together like normal or do I simply set the temp on the cyberq, put the wheel at a small sliver opening and let the fan do its job? I know once I'm up to temp the wheel goes on but I'm unsure when it comes to starting off. Daisy wheel off when trying to get to temp or daisy wheel on and fan working hard?

Comments

• loveTheEgg
    Options
    I take mine off until I get to 50 degrees before my target temp then I put it on and start adjusting accordingly. Good luck! You will love it.
    Brandon, MS
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If you have the stoker fan mounted and running, it really doesn't matter, you just don't want it closed all the way.  The important control is the damper on the stoker fan.  You can open it up all the way to get up to temp faster, but you want to close it down depending on your temp once you've reached setpoint.

You don't have to use it to start - I usually leave mine attached, but open the vent so the fire gets all the air it wants.  Don't overshoot your set point...at least don't grossly overshoot it.  Not because it's tough to cool down the egg, but because you don't want much lump burning on a low and slow.  A big, spread out fire, once choked back to keep the egg in the 200s will mostly go out, and that gives you yucky smoke.

Thanks for answers fellas! I know it's a little thing but the instructions say the guru is learning my grill so I didn't want to give it mixed signals at the start of our relationship. ;)
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Just remember with the Guru you have to set the barrel damper to about a quarter moon shape. The stoker has a flapper, like a check valve. The guru wont allow you to use low temps if the damper is open because the air can get through without the fan running.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• wts70mc
    Options
    Once your all done how do you get the egg cooled down? Do you take the fan off and put the plug in or just close the top vent?
  • Little Steven
    Options
    You can either close the barrel damper or take it out and close the slider

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• AleBrewer
    Options
    I've had no problems with just closing the slider....but I also will just pull the fan sometimes as well.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Just the green ceramic cap on top will do it too.
    I have a DigiQ. I use an electric starter to get the coals going in the center, about 8 -10 minutes. Then I leave the egg open a few minutes to get the coals going. Then I close the lid with the top fully open and the bottom vent fully open. When the dome temp is ~50 degrees hotter than my desired temp, I put on the daisy wheel and attach the DigiQ blower unit. 

For low and slow, the daisy wheel is almost closed and the DigiQ is on the smallest opening. For 350, the daisy wheel is midway to fully open and the blower unit is on the largest setting.

Ideally, I have about 30-45 minutes for the egg to equalize. Once equalized, the DigiQ will hold the temp from 225-350 for hours with minimal variation.
  • wts70mc
    Options
    Hey guys I know this might be an obvious Question but what does the reboot button do? Does it reset all of the settings or does it just cause the cyberq to power cycle? Starting back with the Existing settings?
  • North_Is_Up
    Options
    wts70mc: You probably know by now, but the reboot just reboots the unit. It doesn't reset it to factory defaults. 

Pressing the up and down arrow at the same time does reset all settings to factory defaults, but doesn't reset the firmware to factory defaults. The firmware stays intact. I'm just a user, too.
    Small (hatched 6/13/2015)
    XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
    Northern CA