Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wife...turkey..day before cook..HELP!!!

So the wife calls me at work and states that target has turkey on sale. I was busy and wasn't thinking. So I get home and there is this 20+ pound butterball turkey in the frig. Now i was going to do it spatchcock. but this is to big to do it that way on my LBGE (I think). So i am thinking of cutting it in half and doing one half above the other (platesetter, grll, raised grill). Maybe even seasoning them differently.

then i will be packing it up and driving it 3 hours Wed night. i am hoping to warm it up in the oven on Thursday... Should i FTC it? Or go ahead and chill the halves then reheat in the oven ?

Suggestions ... any help is much appreciated

Comments

• Let us know how it turns out.

Have a great Thanksgiving.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• If your cooking it Wednesday and eating Thursday you will have to refrigerate it and reheat so skip the FTC.  Spatchcock the bird and see if it will fit on your grid, if not half it and cook on two levels (like the idea of two different rubs).  Good luck, have fun and happy Thanksgiving.
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    edited November 2012
    Take your egg with you. Seriously. I take my XL to tailgate, it is not that hard for a large. Do what needs to be done. The wife can ride in the back or the car and the egg in the front. :D

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• miscjames
    miscjames Posts: 78
    edited November 2012
    Well here is how it went. I read that to reheat i would need a broth of some sort. So I made the starter for Mad max Gravy. (all the turkey parts including the back bone, celery baby carrots, onion, fresh thyme, sage, and Rosemary. Tossed them all in a crock pot for about 14 hours. Drained off some stock for the wife. Then added more water and let it cook for 2 more hours.) Then I took all the bones out and used my hands and meshed it all up till it became a fine mesh. I cooked the bird spatchcock style draped over a v rack and it just barley fit. I pinned the wings in some with toothpicks (not shown) It was so big that it even throw off my dome gauge readings.  Pulled it at 160. On turkey day I lined the bottom of the pan with the mesh about 1/2 inch deep. And then put the turkey in. Covered it with foil and brought it back up to temp. (this took about 3 hours at 400 with the crap oven that was at the rental we had.) But it came out perfect except the skin was not chip crispy but it was very moist and had that nice egg flavor. I also did a egret ham as a back up. Tossed it in the oven while they were cooking everything else. (http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1144860/egret-d-you) 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Looks like a success to me! Great job! :)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....