Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Day 2012-Pt 1.-Baking (Pix Intensive)

jfm0830
jfm0830 Posts: 987
edited November 2012 in EggHead Forum
My Big Green Egg was in use all day on Thanksgiving. I fired it up as the sun was rising and finished up when the sun set. It was at 350 all day on one load of charcoal and once I got it stabilized at 350 I only had to play with the grates once. That was when I put the cold turkey on the Egg. I took a lot of pictures and I am going to divide this post into two parts. This first one covers the rolls & desserts I baked on the Egg before throwing the turkey on. I included the prep pictures because folks seem to like to see what is involved before the food goes on the Egg. All three of these items came from Cook's Illustrated Holiday Baking 2012. Oh and thanks to @Littile_Steven: the plumbing T spacers improved the cooking of every item I made.

For those of you who want the main event, the turkey pictures are found in this post: Turkey Day 2012-Pt 2

CLOVERLEAF ROLLS:
These rolls were interesting, they were soft on the top & inside, had crisp sides & bottom & a buttery smooth taste. One thing I liked about the recipe was I could make the dough the night before & refrigerated the formed rolls in the pan overnight. They went on the Egg on Thanksgiving Day.

The rolls used: All-purpose flour, eggs, skim milk, instant yeast, salt, sugar & butter.

The skim milk is combined with the sugar and instant yeast. Then a large egg and a large egg yolk are added in. The device the egg yolk is in is an egg separator. You break the egg on the yellow clip in the middle and pour it onto the white holder on the right. The egg white goes down into the container on the right, You flip the egg yolk into the container in the right. The device in the lower right is the infra-red thermometer I used to shoot the surface of the skim milk which gets warmed to 110 degrees. 

The all-purpose flour will get mixed with the salt.

The all-purpose flour/salt mixture is in the bowl of the stand mixture and the egg/yeast/skim milk mixture gets drizzled in.

The finished dough after mixing for 10 minutes.

The dough ball goes into a bowl covered in plastic wrap which goes into the oven which was heated to 200 degrees and shut off.

The dough has doubled after 45 minutes.

The dough gets divided into 3 pieces. I weighed the dough to insure even sized pieces.

Each of the 3 pieces of dough get rolled out into an 18" long rope.

The 18" rope of dough gets cut into 12 equal sized pieces and then rolled into little balls.

Three of the little dough balls get put into a muffin tin that was brushed with melted butter.

The Egg is stabilized around 350 where it stayed all day.

The Cloverleaf Rolls are on the Egg. I put the muffin tin on 1/2" copper T's to get it up off the Plate Setter.

The rolls are done. 

The rolls were excellent! They had a smooth soft texture, soft tops, somewhat crispy sides and bottom and a wonderful buttery taste. I will definitely be making these again.

EGGNOG BUNDT CAKE
We usually go through a couple bottles of Eggnog on Thanksgiving, so I figured what better way to end the meal but with some Eggnog Bundt Cake.?

The batter used: All-purpose flour, dark rum, cinnamon, ground nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder, eggs, buttermilk, lemon juice, butter, vanilla extract & sugar.

The buttermilk, vanilla extract & lemon juice get whisked together.

The sugar & butter get mixed together in a stand mixer.

The flour mixture & butter mixture get added to and mixed with the egg mixture in the stand mixer in multiple alternating additions.

! cup of the batter gets pulled aside and get mixed together with the rum, cinnamon, nutmeg & dijon mustard.

The regular version of the batter has been added to the Bundt cake pan. The "enhanced" version is on the right.

The "enhanced" batter is added on top of the regular batter.

The Bundt cake pan is on the Egg. I used the plumbing T's to give me some separation 

About 1 hour and 10 minutes later the Cake is done.

The cake has rested for 3 hours & now it gets topped with a mix of dark rum & confectioner's sugar. 

The cake was delicious And everyone loved it. It was incredibly heavy and dense. We were all stuffed but people kept cutting little second pieces because it was so good. 

HERMIT COOKIES:
These were a last minute addition and I made the batter the night before. This post is getting too long so I am not going to post the batter prep pictures. For those who are interested, I've posted them before. Here is the link:

Using the 1/2 copper plumbing T's between the Plate Setter & the sheet pan improved the texture and cooking on these hermits too. Who new? Oh yeah Little Steven. Thanks man.

Here is the dough on Thanksgiving morning after being refrigerated overnight.

The dough was halved and rolled into 10" logs. They are on parchment paper on a quarter sheet pan.

The hermits are on the Egg for about 25 minutes.

The hermits are done.

The hermits have cooled to room temperature and will now get glazed with a mix some fresh squeezed orange juice & confectioner's sugar.

These hermits were even better than the first round I made. I really think the difference was getting the sheet pan up off the Plate Setter. They had a chewy but stiff texture and the bottom was cooked better.

The baked good on the Egg were excellent! One advantage doing these on the Egg gave me was being able to use the oven for other things. Oven time is always at a premium on the holidays.The use of the plumbing T's improved the quality of everything I did on the on the Plate Setter which has encouraged me to do even more baking on the Egg. 

Jim
3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments

• dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Looks great.  Thanks for the posts and pictures.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Great stuff in both posts. Very impressive cook and documentation. Very helpful.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Super awesome! Bookmarking as I'm doing those rolls next year. I'm planning on throwing them on the egg after I pull the bird off. That gives me a 30 min window. Thanks!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Love it, well done.
  • Wow!  All I can say is wow!
    Flint, Michigan
  • jfm0830
    Thanks for looking and commenting guys and gals.

@cazzy: I don't know why I didn't think of that! I was so happy when I found out you could make them the night before, I didn't even think to sneak them in during the rest period for the turkey. Technically you can even get 10 or 15 minutes more time while you're cutting the turkey. My version of the rolls happened to take 20 minutes at 350.
  • Looks really nice!!! What are hermit cookies?
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • jfm0830
    They were a favorite of mine growing up. They are a regional favorite in New England-this I didn't realize until I read this recipe which gave the background. They taste a lot like a gingerbread man with a little more molasses flavor, plus raisins. They are a little softer than a real crunchy gingerbread man. I had trouble stopping eating these, just like when I was a little kid.
  • mind sharing recipe or point in right direction...I love gingerbread....might be able to thin batter for pancakes!!!
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • jfm0830
    The recipe is found in the Cook's Illustrated Holiday Baking 2012 special supplement which is on magazine stands now. It had over a dozen other recipes I plan to do. You could probably also come up with it by going to the Cook's illustrated website, and getting a two-week free membership. They will ask for an email address and some other information including a credit card. If you don't cancel membership within two weeks they will start charging you for a years membership. I have been a member for about seven years now and I feel it's very worthwhile, but you can do it for the two weeks and just remember to cancel your membership when you have what you need.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023

Woooooaaah, James!  Nicely done!   :-O   You keep this up and I think the Big Green Egg company will be offering you a job!