Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's the deal with using a cooler after...

Options
splitsurround
splitsurround Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
...cooking a butt? I think I'm supposed to immediately wrape the butt in plastic wrap or towels, then place in a cooler for a couple hours before pulling.

Why? What does the cooler do? Also, is there a difference between using plastic wrap & cloth towels?

Thanks gang,

split

Comments

• HighCotton
    HighCotton Posts: 43
    Options
    If I have to transport egged butts or need to wait a few hours, I'll place them in a corning dish, wrap them in foil, and put old towels in between them and on top on top of them in a cooler. It keeps them from getting cold before serving. I've used this method and can still pull hot pork five hours later. The bone still slides right out.
  • Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Options
    Meet continues cooking off the grill. My understanding is that, with low-and-slow meats like yours, that means it will continue to get increasingly tender.

Also, with a lot of meats, the rest period off the heat allows juices to redistribute. Try steaks with and without a rest after coming off the grill, and you'll see a big difference.