Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When to remove turkey with a 2 hour rest

Options
Getting ready to spatchcock a bird for T-day, but have to travel with it. What temp do i remove it at if i'm planning on a 2hr rest period wraped in foil and placed in a warm cooler. I'm thinking 150 at the breast and figure it will go to 160 by the time its served. 

Looks like i'll be icing the breast to make up for the white/dark meat discrepancy before hand. 

temperature recommendations are all over the board now adays. cant imaging pulling before it hits 150, but i did read some recommendations at 145 depending on rest times. 

does anyone cook a big spatchcocked bird direct anymore?...seems like everyone went indirect.

please advise

thanx 

Greygoose

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    It would depend on the size of the bird and what temp it's cooked at. It won't dry out any more once it is FTC'd so you wouldn't hurt anything by going to 160. That is just my opinion.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• pileit1971
    Options
    How long do you think it will take to bring a 17# bird up to room temperature?  It is in a refriderator drying out tonight.

Going to do the Ice on the breasts and saw the warning about making sure the bird was room temp or so, so that the dark meat was warmer then what the breasts would be.  I was thinking about putting in the meat thermoter early and just watch the temp rise, but still trying to gauge a time to start.

THanks!!!
    Large BGE
    Camp Chef 4 burner Griddle

Near Cleveland, Ohio