Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Considering new egg--placement question

Options
I'm considering buying the Large Egg and I have a L shaped back porch with brick floors with about 10 foot ceilings.   Would the porch be a suitable location to cook on the egg despite the roof/ceiling--I was thinking I could store the egg up next to the house and then roll to the corner of the L for cooking.       The porch is about 10 feet long, so I would be a reasonable distance from the house, but would the ceiling pose any fire or other safety hazards? 

Unfortunately I don't have any paved or bricked areas in my backyard not covered with a roof, and the porch has about 2 steps, so having the egg on the porch would be by far the most convenient option.  

Any experiences or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.   Thanks.

Comments

• BobsBGE
    Options
    I just built a shed roof over a small concrete pad on the side of my house for the sole purpose of housing my new XL.  I've done two cooks and have had no problems.  It's probably not as large as your porch, but seems to work well.  As long as you have good air flow in the area you will be moving the egg to, I would think your set up would be fine.  Be careful moving the egg if your brick floor is uneven.  It would be a shame to turn it over and crack the egg.
    Fayetteville, Ga
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    Options
    I have my eggs on a deck under a similar height PVC roof and I've been cooking on them for years without a problem. The roof will get a little dirty on the inside but that's about it.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options

I have a similar set up, the only issue is the ceiling overhead is sooty.  I will post a pic later.

Cooking a lot on the Egg is not inherantly neat and tidy, so the area get a bit messy.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    When raining I roll my table into the mancave garage. If there's no wind coming through I use a fan to move the smoke out. I'd say you'll be fine.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    Options

I have a similar set up, the only issue is the ceiling overhead is sooty.  I will post a pic later.

Cooking a lot on the Egg is not inherantly neat and tidy, so the area get a bit messy.

Same here.  My ceiling is not very high, but the only issue is a little soot.  
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • lmd
    lmd Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks for the input.   Wanted to make sure I wouldn't burn the house down or other major issues.   I can live with a little soot on the ceiling.

The brick floor is a little bumpy--any thoughts on the nest handler or perhaps a compact table versus the basic nest?
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Just make sure you have lots of ventilation. Fire danger can be minimised but carbon monoxide can't.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lmd
    edited November 2012
    Options
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited November 2012
    Options
    This pic does not quite respond to your question, but my set up is just like you describe (except that I have an inside corner and you have an outside corner), with a roofed over portion of the pool area.  No issues except messy.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• lmd
    Options
    Just make sure you have lots of ventilation. Fire danger can be minimised but carbon monoxide can't.
    Seems like it would be fine on an open air porch from a carbon monoxide perspective?   Wouldn't a fireplace indoors cause more carbon monoxide than an outdoor grill (although I'm on the edge of a roof rather than having an unobstructed chimney). 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited November 2012
    Options
    If it is a screen porch you are OK. Didn't see that in your post.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lmd
    Options
    It's completely open without a screen.   I should have mentioned that originally.