Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Using the BGE as a smoker to smoke mozzarella

Options
I'm going to try to smoke mozzarella because I have a pizza recipe that uses it. Obviously I'll need to run my egg at a very low temp, indirect and probably below 175°. I anticipate smoking for a 1-2 hours with apple and cherry chunks. Has anyone used the egg for this? If so let me know any tricks

Comments

• Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    You'll need a setup for cold smoking (90ish degrees). 175 will melt the cheese.
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    You can definitely smoke cheese, I've done cheddar and colby before, never mozz.  Need to keep the temps very low; easier in colder weather. Good info here on the Naked Whiz's site - http://www.nakedwhiz.com/smokedcheese/smokedcheese.htm.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

Might be easier in the dead of winter....

Cookin in Texas
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    I have done it before using a couple of briquettes smoke wood and a big pan of ice. I only have done it when it is under 45 degrees outside.
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    Options
    mozzarella is great smoked, as long as you keep the egg around 70 degrees you're fine.
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    I have used the tin can/soldering iron method several times with good results.  I have finally found a use for the W kettle that has been sitting unused since buying my XL BGE.  In cold weather, it dissipates heat quite well, which I feel makes it easier to not melt the cheese. 
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    +1 on bettysnephew method with the tin can
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Aquaticdoc
    Options
    Thanks to all---the nakedwhiz site is VERY helpful. The process was to empty the BGE of all old unburnt charcoal, light 3 medium-sized BGE charcoal (used an electric lighter--not all that easy with such a small amount) and when burning, placed 4 2"x3"x1/4" chunks of cherry over these smoldering coals. Placed the plate setter then the grill and shut the lid, leaving the bottom intake open about 1", and the top only 1/4" slits. I let the first smoke settle down a bit, then placed the balls of mozzarella on a pastry-cooling grate on top of the grill. I smoked for 60 min, and the dome temp using a digital thermometer in one of the balls never exceeded 80° F. My lid thermometer read 88°. The cheese is wonderful--quite smoky. Some might smoke for less time. Outside temp was 44°--that probably help keep things cool. 
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Thanks to all---the nakedwhiz site is VERY helpful. The process was to empty the BGE of all old unburnt charcoal, light 3 medium-sized BGE charcoal (used an electric lighter--not all that easy with such a small amount) and when burning, placed 4 2"x3"x1/4" chunks of cherry over these smoldering coals. Placed the plate setter then the grill and shut the lid, leaving the bottom intake open about 1", and the top only 1/4" slits. I let the first smoke settle down a bit, then placed the balls of mozzarella on a pastry-cooling grate on top of the grill. I smoked for 60 min, and the dome temp using a digital thermometer in one of the balls never exceeded 80° F. My lid thermometer read 88°. The cheese is wonderful--quite smoky. Some might smoke for less time. Outside temp was 44°--that probably help keep things cool. 
    I find it much easier to use charcoal briquets instead of the lump. This will give you very consistence results from batch to batch. Also, I put apple or peach chunks about 1/4" thick on each briquet. Use a pan full of ice under the grid if it's not real cool outside. About 1 hour is all you need. Some people have had good results with the soldering iron technique.......I've never tried it so can't give you any advice on that method. However you do it, you should put the cheese in the refrigerator (vacuum sealed if possible) for at least a week.......the cheese will taste very strong right off the egg if you don't let it rest for a few days.