Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For you briners.....

Made my second brine tonight. I could not remember what I did with my first one, so I winged it.  It tasted pretty good when cooled, I just hope it is good for the bird!
  • Just shy of a cup of kosher salt
  • a cup pf light brown sugar loosely packed
  • tablespoon of rosemary leaves
  • teaspoon of thyme
  • 7-8 garlic cloves quartered
  • 3/4 lemon squeezed then cut up and dumped in
  • 8-10 whole peppercorns
  • a carrot cut up
  • a stalk of celery
  • half a sweet onion
I had all that put in 1/2 gallon of water, then barely simmered for about 2 mins, then turned off the heat. Let sit covered for 15 mins, then dumped in a 1/2 gallon of ice water with as much ice as I could fit into the 1/2 container as possible. That made the perfect amount of brine for the 17.4 lb bird.

I hope that I put in the right amount of salt and since I am letting it sit for 24 hrs, for the right amount of time.

I am less interested in the individual ingredients, but rather the brine strength and length of soak. It is either a 12 hr soak or a 24 hr soak as I work 12 hour days.

Thoughts/opinions? Any and all are welcome!
--------------------------------------------------
Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
....just look for the smoke!
Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Sounds right - I always use a scale to make brine, for the salt.  Depending on the granularity of the salt, you can be off in weight (which is what matters) by a lot. 
  • Learned a good lesson on brining tonight. Make sure your brine bag doesn't have any weak spots. While moving the bag the bottom blew out and 13 pounds of turkey and a gallon and a half of turkey juice exploded in the kitchen. While I let loose with quite a few expletives, my daughter naturally jumped up and took some pics which immediately made it out on Facebook, twitter, etc. All was good though. Had a backup bag and turkey on its way.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • nolaegghead
    That's hilarious.  Sorry about the schadenfreude.  :D
    edited November 2012
    Sounds right - I always use a scale to make brine, for the salt.  Depending on the granularity of the salt, you can be off in weight (which is what matters) by a lot. 
    I've seen several recipes with 2 cups salt & sugar as the base ingredients.  Franklin's "Turkey Part " lists that too.  How does one determine exactly how much salt to use.  My bird was 19.5 #...how much salt should have been used?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    its more salt to water than salt to weight of object being brined.  i'm not all science nerdy with scales and stuff but most brines do 1 cup kosher salt to 1 gallon liquid. and then use enough liquid to fully submerge your food.  thats the rule I have been using for about 5 years then I just adjust all the other ingredients accordingly.  also,  like nola said granularity varies, a cup of kosher salt is way less than a cup of standard table salt. 
    cazzy said:
    I've seen several recipes with 2 cups salt & sugar as the base ingredients.  Franklin's "Turkey Part " lists that too.  How does one determine exactly how much salt to use.  My bird was 19.5 #...how much salt should have been used?

• nolaegghead
    Here's how I do it.  (how many times have ya heard that?)

225 g pure salt (pickling salt, brine salt basically pure sodium chloride)
    125g sugar
    1 gallon water.

So it sounds like I might be a little light on the salt to water ratio. I suppose being light is better than too much. Perhaps with a 24 hr soak I am okay. At least that is what I am thinking at the moment.

Leaving for work in 20 mins, so I am now committed to the 24 hr soak.

Good luck all! Happy thanksgiving!
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite.