Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maple Bourbon Rack of Pork

SmokeyPitt
SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
edited November 2012 in Pork
A few people have mentioned the rack of pork from Costco, so I thought I would give it a try.  These were 3.99 a lb at my Costco, and came with 8 bones. I was a little disappointed to find these are enhanced (10 % solution of pork broth + salts), however it turned out really good.  I thought I would try some kind of maple bourbon glaze (inspired by Egret's ham).  I found a recipe that used orange juice, but I thought for pork apple juice might be better.  I also started throwing in a few more spices.  Recipe for the "sauce":
  • 2/3 cup cider vin
  • 2/3 cup apple cider
  • 4 tbs bourbon
  • 4 tbs light brown sugar
  • pinch garlic powder
  • pinch Cayenne
  • pinch paprika
  • pinch black pepper
  • pinch cinnamon
  • 3 tbs worshy sauce
  • 2 tbs dijon mustard
  • 2/3 cup maple syrup
  • wisk together in sauce pan on medium heat and bring to simmer. 
  • simmer 10 minutes, reduce by 1/3
Note: This makes a lot of sauce...really more than needed but I knew I might want to play with it. 

Even after the reduction and the rest, the sauce was still very much a liquid,  so I decided I just mixed up an injection rather than a glaze :).  The night before, I injected right through the crovac packaging.  This worked quite well...it seemed like I was getting lots of liquid into the roast. I used about 1/4 of the sauce to inject.

I rubbed the roast with Oak Ridge Secret Weapon and also some parsley flakes (thought it made it look perty).  I cooked low and slow 250ish dome with some apple chunks.  While it was smoking, I added some of the sauce back to a pot and added butter and brown sugar in order to further reduced/thickened.  Now I had something I could use as a glaze.   

I think it took about 3 hours to get close to 145.  When it was 142 or so, I kicked the heat up a little and applied the glaze. I pulled it when it was about 146 and let it rest (I imagine it reached 150 after the rest).   Mashed potatoes were cooked on the stove, then mixed up with some cheese and bacon bits and went on the egg the last 20 minutes or so along side the roast. 

It turned out really good.  Only thing is you can see it still has a nice layer of fat on the outside.  I had no problem eating this, but thinking next time I might give it a sear at the end to melt some more fat.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

Comments