Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcocked turkey refrigerator question

Do you rub turkey before or after you let it sit in fridge uncovered overnight?

Comments

• I will be rubbing mine before it sits then maybe a little more before I put it on the LBGE..... Mine is brining as we speak, remove from brine tomorrow then rub and fridge dry for a late Wednesday cook......
    LBGE - Swing Grate - Platesetter - Pimaster110 - Pizza Stones - Maverick E732 - Thermapen - Dutch Ovens Abbeville, SC
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    After fridge and about an hour before the fire. I don't brine.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    My rule of thumb is to let the rub sit for at least 30 minutes to allow it to penetrate skin/meat.  Otherwise, you run the risk of cooking it off.
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • How long do you allow the turkey to sit in fridge...Is Monday night till a Wednesday cook too long?

• How long do you allow the turkey to sit in fridge...Is Monday night till a Wednesday cook too long?
    Mine has been sitting in the fridge since Friday when we picked it up - so no, it's not too long.  ;)

HTH,
    HH
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Uncovered. Right?
    yes, mine is uncovered.  That's how I do my chickens (I let a whole chicken sit uncovered in the fridge for about a week prior to cooking), and they've all turned out A-OK (I'm not dead yet) heh

For the turkey, the ONLY thing I'm concerned about is the entrails (neck, liver, etc) - Hindsight being 20/20, I probably should've put them in the freezer until I was ready for them (was planning on using them for stock for the gravy).  I'll perform the old "smell" test on them when the time gets closer to Turkey Day, and if they smell like they're not doing too well, I may just pitch them & use "fake" gravy (ie, store bought). 
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Hiillbilly,

If they are bad, just go buy more "entrails".  Most grocery stores sell the parts by themselves now.

Later...
    Large BGE
    Camp Chef 4 burner Griddle

Near Cleveland, Ohio