Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Uneven heat a common problem?

Options

Cooked some thick cut pork chops last night (for the first time). Used the brine from the Ruhlman book which was great. Brined for 2 hours followed by a 30 minute drying time. Got the temp steady at 350 ish and cooked direct on standard BGE grate for 8-10 minutes, then flipped until internal of 150. I know it was beyond the 140 everyone talks about, just didn't think the wife would like her chop cooked at that temp. The taste was very good. Thanks to the brine I think. The chop on the right side of the grill cooked faster and more thorough than the chop on the left side. Is this a common issue - uneven heat? When I looked at the fire while filpping it looked to be blazing all over.

Second problem, I didn't get any char on the outside of the chops. I think I know how to solve that. Will try a reverse seer next time.Thanks for all the help.

LBGE, Marietta, GA

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited November 2012
    Options
    You can sear closer to the lump at a higher temp and then elevate the grid for raised direct or even indirect. Despite looking like it's "blazing all over", you can get hot spots in the lump based on how much is lit and the locations that you placed the firestarter or lump-firing device(Ask my wife's steak how I know, and my wallet for the second one). How long did you allow the egg to stabilize? You can also give the lit coals a stir to more evenly distribute the lit lumps of lump. Hooray alliteration!
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    I let the lump stabilize a good while - maybe an hour. Wanted to give the chops longer to dry out. Thanks
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    tulocay said:
    I let the lump stabilize a good while - maybe an hour. Wanted to give the chops longer to dry out. Thanks
    I edited my comment slightly after thinking about it, but an hour should be sufficient. I would TRex it or reverse sear next time, as you mentioned before. 
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options

I have no issue with this in my Large but the right side of my Small cooks much hotter than the left. I can't really find any variables to justify it but I know it's true.

Also, generally the back of all Eggs cook a little hotter than the front due to the airflow. I learned on this forum to solve that problem by leaving a little pile of ash in the back. That seems to help.

XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I'd have to say that uneven heat during direct cooks is almost a given. Most of the heat from the lump comes from the IR glow during a direct cook. Unless all of the lump is going, as in a full sear, there will be uneven heat. There will be places that have slightly better air flow, places where the fire is moving across the lump readily.

Expect to flip and rotate during a direct cook.

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    thanks for the input. still learning, but loving the egg!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • SamFerrise
    Options
    I usually cook my pork chops using a spider and smaller grate getting the meat closer to the heat. 600 degrees.  I go for the 1 inch or thicker chops because the thin ones will just burn up.  5 minutes per side for a total of 15 minutes, plate and foil cover for 5 minutes.  Tender and juicy with just a hint of pink.  The squeamish pork eaters will turn their noses at that but they don't know what they are missing.  Most times I will not fire up my egg for just a couple of chops.  I will use a small habachi with the grate right on top of my coals.  They turn out just as well and I save a lot of lump for my big cooks.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!