Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reheating Turkey

Options
Hi everyone,

This is year 2 with the big green egg and thanksgiving.  Last year I had the opportunity to host thanksgiving dinner and had the opportunity to do the mad max style turkey it came out fantastic (pics below).  This year however we have to travel to my parents house Wednesday.  I was planning on spatchcocking a bird on Tuesday, but wanted some suggestions on best way to reheat the bird on Thursday without it drying out.  Any ideas?  Thanks

Comments

• ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    Options
    It doesn't seem that anyone has any idea how to reheat a whole turkey. I know I don't.

I have seen on one of the old shows with Julia Child and a guest chef how to cut a turkey up in a way that it is then reassembled to create a presentation that still looks like a whole bird. I don't have a reference link, though. If you could find out how, you could reheat the parts sou vide, then do the reassembly thing. It's just a thought.

Tim
  • pileit1971
    Options
    I would think that if you cut it up like you have in one of the pictures above, and put it in a disposable tin foil pan liked you cooked it in, that you could wrap it up with foil and bring the carcass and as much of the drippings that you can, make a broth on Wednesday when when you get there and on Thursday heat up the broth and put the some of the warm/hot broth over everything and in a 200 degree oven for 20-30 minutes.

May not and will not be the same as freshly off the egg, but should still be pretty decent.
    Large BGE
    Camp Chef 4 burner Griddle

Near Cleveland, Ohio
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    Don't cook it all the way.  I would stop maybe 10-15 degrees early ... like 150 for the breast and 165 for the thigh.  It will have all the smoke flavor you need by then.  Finish it in a 325 degree oven at the house.