Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Very OT: Apple Mac Fin Software

Options
2»

Comments

• jeroldharter
    Options
    I switched over to Mac recently as well. I prefer it, but some software is available for Windows only. I installed Fusion (easy) which has a wizard for installing Windows so I have Windows 8 on my MAc. The installation of Windows within Fusion was simple and fast (not a full day event like a fresh install of Windows on a PC). I can switch back and forth between Mac and Windows instantly. For my purposes the Mac is much better for Windows than any PC I have used.
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    For my purposes the Mac is much better for Windows than any PC I have used.
    My nephew is a product manager for Dell.  He switched to Mac, and said that a Mac runs Windows better than a Dell runs Windows.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    For my purposes the Mac is much better for Windows than any PC I have used.
    My nephew is a product manager for Dell.  He switched to Mac, and said that a Mac runs Windows better than a Dell runs Windows.
    Mac hardware is top of the line and there's not a lot of diversity in it so the drivers are practically hardcoded in Parallels or whatever VM you use.  I can attest to it running better myself, having had several macs and countless windows machines.
    Mickey, look at Numbers over at the App store.  That may be what you are looking for.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Mint.com is awesome for home budget. I believe it's made by intuit and is very secure. Best of all it's OS neutral and has a great app on my phone. Used it a few years now and I still love it. It's free too.
    Dunedin, FL
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    I don't blame you for wanting to stay away from Windows. I am a former Windows Fanboy that switched to Mac in '07 and computing has been SO much better.

I don't use personal finance software. Wife and I are tightwads and we watch and review our finances very closely so I've always felt they just add another level of complication. However, I have looked into packages in the past just out of curiosity's sake. iBank appeared to be a decent solution to a ready-made package. It was on par with Quicken, which I DID use years ago while still on Windows. If you want lots of flexibility with some extra work, a spreadsheet is the way to go. Personally, if I ever decided to start tracking things again, this would be my choice.

I do use Office 2008 for Mac. Excel is just as powerful on the Mac version as the Windows - and files will interchange. Anything created or edited on the Mac will load right up on the Win version. OpenOffice (Google it) is a free, open source Office alternative. Again, files will interchange with either Mac or Win versions of Office. OO works very similar to Excel - if you know how to get around in Excel, OO will be a breeze. Numbers for Mac - man, that is a great little spreadsheet app. The user interface is SO much nicer, cleaner, and easier to use than Excel. It does lack some of the higher end formulas and formatting that Excel has. If someone were to combine the power of Excel with the user experience of Numbers, the perfect spreadsheet would exist. Numbers can save files in Excel format, but sometimes some of the formats will not go over the best. It is a minor annoyance and I have not found it to effect the performance of a sheet yet.

Welcome to the Mac world, BTW. No doubt you will find yourself blown away by the experience after awhile. You may find some things a bit puzzling for awhile, but once you have your "Ah ha!" moment - the point that the whole "Mac Way" sinks in - you will never want to turn back. Very, very few switchers ever want to go back - and it is my theory that those who do, never kept at it long enough to get to the Ah Ha moment and gave up. It took me about two weeks. Others have it sooner. I found the best thing to do is resist over-thinking things which Windows has trained its users to do.