Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Back before the BGE

Befor I start I must preface my story with the fact that for 45 years of marriage my husband has NEVER cooked anything other than a steak or hamburger on the gasser. He has never gone near MY egg. Now on with my story. We always smoked a turkey on a water smoker at the holidays. It was the best turkey ever. We got the egg and it opened up a whole new world of cooking. I brined, spatched, mad maxed, direct, indirect, high in the dome, you name it I tried it. They were good, moist, but was still missing something. So the husband said one day out of the clear blue HE wants to cook a turkey like we use to do and he wants to do it on the egg. I was in complete shock and he was off to Publix to buy his first turkey, along with the seasonings and vegetables. The recipe is: 12 - 14 pound turkey 6 pack beer 6 onions 10 jalapeños 4 heads garlic 2 habenaro Olive oil Zatarains creole seasoning Tony chachere's creole Black peppercorns Chili powder Red pepper flakes Rub bird with olive oil and crust with creole seasonings (put a lot of seasoning so it for a nice crust for lots of flavor). Wrap in plastic wrap over night (2days is best). Egg stabled to 325, indirect. Prepare pan with all 6 beers and 1/3 of vegetables, chili powder, black pepper corns, and red pepper flakes and heat on plate setter before adding bird. When all is nice and hot add bird and cook to 160 breast. Husband used pecan wood for smoke. He did it all by himself and it was awesome. It was the flavor we were missing. He even cleaned up the kitchen. Well let me just say, he thought he cleaned up the kitchen. At the end of the day he was so proud of himself, I was still in shock and awe. He was also exhausted and had to take a nap!!! See, we oldies can still learn new tricks. Writing on the IPad and hope it doesn't all run together.
Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !

Comments