Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

feedback on the digiQ

i'm considering a digiQ and was interested in some feedback from those that use it or have a recommendation one way or another?

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I have one (DX2) and I like it.  No complaints.  Kinda wish I had the wifi model because I'm a total geek.
  • I have one and have zero regrets about buying one. I use it for every low and slow I do. Ribs, butts, and brisket. Many will tell you that you don't need one and they're absolutely right, but it does help eliminate the chance of temp fluctuations overnight or having your fire die due to plugged grate holes.
  • I have one (DX2) and I like it.  No complaints.  Kinda wish I had the wifi model because I'm a total geek.
    Being a bit of a geek myself and considering a DigiQ as my Christmas gift to myself what are the benefits of the WiFi model? Can it be controlled from your iphone or laptop?
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    i have the digiq as well no complaints works perfectly also i live about 10 minutes from them go there to buy my rubs . great people to deal with 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • I have one (DX2) and I like it.  No complaints.  Kinda wish I had the wifi model because I'm a total geek.
    +1 about no complaints and +1 that you're a total geek.  Heh, heh, heh!  I'm kinda geekish and wish I had the wifi model too!
    Flint, Michigan
  • I have a couple of the older ones. They work fine but I stopped using them years ago. I have a floor fan that I set up in front of the egg on low and never have any problems.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I really like mine.  No regrets and use for all my low and slows.  I would have gotten the wifi version if it was available when I bought mine.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• nolaegghead
    I have one (DX2) and I like it.  No complaints.  Kinda wish I had the wifi model because I'm a total geek.
    Being a bit of a geek myself and considering a DigiQ as my Christmas gift to myself what are the benefits of the WiFi model? Can it be controlled from your iphone or laptop?
    Yes - you can control it remotely, and you can generate geeky graphs of your cooks (which of course you have to laser print and use as place-mats when you're serving up your Q.
    Yes - you can control it remotely, and you can generate geeky graphs of your cooks (which of course you have to laser print and use as place-mats when you're serving up your Q.
    I am totally going to do that when I get mine!!!

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• nolaegghead
    Make sure you mark them up - write "Stall", draw some arrows, put some cryptic formula on there like PV = nRT.
    I would only suggest getting one if you like to sleep all night and not have to worry about your cook.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited November 2012

Love mine.  Sure, if I was buying one today I'd get the WiFi version no doubt, but still very nice and useful.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    @ashevilleeg like you, I asked for advice on this forum before I bought my DigiQ this spring.  I got the go ahead and I bought it and it has worked perfectly.
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited November 2012
    I will be the contrarian here. After coming from a CharGriller Smokin' Pro the BGE is a thing of beauty to me. I seem to have no trouble keeping it on temperature for 10 hours or more. Where I work from home now, I rarely do all nighters. I do all dayers. Plus I can set a grate temperature alarm on my Maverick ET 732 in the event my temperatures do wander.

After seeing how easily I could control the BGE for low and slow, I decided to defer purchasing the DigiQ. I had originally planned on making it one of my first purchases after buying my Egg. I decided in the short run to put the money into other Eggcessories that I felt I would use more in the short term. So far I haven't regretted that decision one bit. I can always pick it up down the road if the need presents itself. Meanwhile I'm getting a lot of use out of the Eggcessories I bought instead of the DigiQ. So I'm not saying don't get it. But you might at least want to see how you make out without it and you may actually decide you can put the money elsewhere.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    jfm0830 said:
    I will be the contrarian here. After coming from a CharGriller Smokin' Pro the BGE is a thing of beauty to me. I seem to have no trouble keeping it on temperature for 10 hours or more. Where I work from home now, I rarely do all nighters. I do all dayers. Plus I can set a grate temperature alarm on my Maverick ET 732 in the event my temperatures to wander.

After seeing how easily I could control the BGE for low and slow, I decided to defer purchasing the DigiQ. I had originally planned on making it one of my first purchases after buying my Egg. I decided in the short run to put the money into other Eggcessories that I felt I would use more in the short term. So far I haven't regretted that decision one bit. I can always pick it up down the road if the need presents itself. Meanwhile I'm getting a lot of use out of the Eggcessories I bought instead of the DigiQ. So I'm not saying don't get it. But you might at least want to see how you make out without it and you may actually decide you can put the money elsewhere.

Jim
    Nobody is saying it is a necessity, just a great luxury.  Generally speaking the only people who speak against the temp controllers are people that don't have them. 

I think it is important to learn how to manually control the temp for a low and slow, but after that the temp controllers are a nice luxury to have
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Just to be doubly clear here, I am not speaking out against the DIgiQ. I am more saying it is a great luxury. Like me, some others may find that their money is better spent on other things when they're first getting set up. Once they've learned what they can and can't do with the stock BGE, the decision may be easy. Right now I don't see myself getting one. As mentioned I spent the money on other things I felt I had a greater need for. But I will never say never I am not shutting the door to the concept of getting one, I'm just saying right now, for ME it's a luxury. I may think differently once I try some long cooks in the cold weather.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Duganboy said:
     I think it is important to learn how to manually control the temp for a low and slow, but after that the temp controllers are a nice luxury to have
    Totally agree with that 100%. What are you going to do if the power goes out or the unit craps out? I really like my pit controller, but I can learned how to do it manually first.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Griffin said:
    Duganboy said:
    Totally agree with that 100%. What are you going to do if the power goes out or the unit craps out? I really like my pit controller, but I can learned how to do it manually first.
    That's why Al Gore invented the generator!!!!  Oh wait, maybe it was the internet!!!  Just kidding, I learned to manually set my first egg and then decided to use some bonus money to splurg on the DigiQ.  Works great and I haven't had a power failure yet this year and if I do, I'll use my maverick's alarm to wake me if the temp goes bad.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Griffin said:Totally agree with that 100%. What are you going to do if the power goes out or the unit craps out? I really like my pit controller, but I can learned how to do it manually first.

BBQ Guru 12 Volt DC Vehicle Adaptor Cord

I saw this at Firecraft - http://www.firecraft.com/product/bbq-guru-12-volt-dc-vehichle-adaptor-cord/bbq-gurus and thought it was a good idea since I've got one of those jump start packs and I usually put the egg on the edge of the patio - extension cord distance from any outlet.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• nolaegghead
    edited November 2012

Griffin said:
    Duganboy said:
    BBQ is important.  That's why it's important to have a contingency plan for power outages.  This is mine:

i am interested in the cyberQ wifi- is this the first generation they have produced with the wifi?  any kinks?