Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cowboy Rib-eye - Best Steak I've Ever Had

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Drool, drool. Another fantastic cook Jim.

You have not worn out your welcome at all (as seen by all the responses here). Sometimes you won't get a lot of feedback depending on when you post your cook, or howmany other cooks have been posted. Me? I don't hardly get on here during the weekend, so come Monday I have a lot of posts to catch up on.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited November 2012

I have a question, when you start with such a fabulous steak, why do people in general use so many things for a rub?  When it comes to beef, I personally love the taste.  If that were my steak, give me some salt and pepper.  End of story.  This is not a knock against you but a question in general. 

Not taking it at all personally, since it was the best steak that has crossed these lips. Everybody has their likes and dislikes. I have made 3 different recipes for Cowboy Steak and they have all used salt & pepper plus 2-3 other spices. Part of the reason for the rub in this recipe is to give the steak a bit of a crust. One of the spices has always been cumin-which is one of my favorite spices. You could definitely taste it in here. In these days of 20 spice spice rubs, I tend to look at a 4-5 spice rub (S&P included) as a simple rub. But that is what is so great about this hobby, there are endless variations to try.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • That looks perfect...absolutely perfect!
  • ANOTHER BEAUTY!

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    That looks fantastic!
    Quebec - Canada
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited November 2012

Nothing like a big chunk of beef on the Egg.

That looks amazing...nice work. 

Kudos to the chef.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Gorgeous!  :-bd
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

NecessaryIndulg Kristi, I'm going to be doing your shrimp cilantro tomorrow night. I'll change it up a bit by marinating the shrimp for a little extra heat. Give this a try sometime.

1/4 cup EVO

1 tsp kosher salt

1 tsp granulated garlic

1/2 tsp ground black pepper

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

Mix all together and add the shrimp and coat, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
    • billyray said:

NecessaryIndulg Kristi, I'm going to be doing your shrimp cilantro tomorrow night. I'll change it up a bit by marinating the shrimp for a little extra heat. Give this a try sometime.

1/4 cup EVO

1 tsp kosher salt

1 tsp granulated garlic

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

Sounds awesome, nothing wrong with a little heat!  Can't wait to see you pictures! 
        I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
        I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
        You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
      • billyray
        billyray Posts: 1,275
        billyray said:

1/4 cup EVO

1 tsp kosher salt

1 tsp granulated garlic

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

Sounds awesome, nothing wrong with a little heat!  Can't wait to see you pictures! 
          Here's what the shrimp look like when done as appetizers.
          Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
        • nolaegghead
          nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
          look good, billyray

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
        • SaltySam
          SaltySam Posts: 887

This thread is so good.  Hopefully you don't mind the bump.

I just got through an hour-long conversation with a student of mine about the BGE.  I was supposed to be leading a one-on-one review session, but we got sidetracked big time.  I told him everything about mine, how it works, how well it holds temperatures, versatile temp ranges, etc.  He asked "What kind of stuff can you make on it?" 

So, I searched for "Cowboy Ribeye" and called up this thread.  He was sold immediately. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

500 Posts: 3,177
          =D> ^:)^ :-bd
          I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
          Member since 2009
        • jfm0830
          Thanks @SaltySam. I don't mind the bump other than I suddenly crave one of those bad boys now. I must also say your school sounds like more fun than any school I ever attended.
        • JRWhitee
          JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
          That thing is a couple ounces short of being a prime rib!

Johns Creek, Georgia
        • caliking
          caliking Posts: 18,727
          I almost passed out when I saw that last shot of a bite of that steak. Incredible!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
          A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
        • jbates67
          jbates67 Posts: 168
          My knees got weak.....and I'm drooling. Dang you Griff....
        • SPRIGS
          SPRIGS Posts: 482
          Outstanding! I'm hungry again!!!
          XL BGE
        • I'm seriously envious of that steak. Wow. ^:)^
          Huntsville, Al LBGE
        • henapple
          henapple Posts: 16,025
          At what point does a steak become a roast? Nice.
          Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
        • SaltySam
          SaltySam Posts: 887
          If anyone is watching BBQ Pitmasters right now, they are showing the Texas episode with brisket and Cowboy Steaks.  The three contestants couldn't hold a candle to this one. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• jfm0830
          Thanks again, the second time around, for all the kind words. I really can't believe this thread has risen from the dead after all that time. The only thing is I now have a craving to make some of those again myself. To those of you who compared it to a prime rib, that is quite true. On the inside it eats like a prime rib, on the outside it has the sear of a steak.
        • jlsm
          jlsm Posts: 1,011
          Jim, I now know what to get to impress an in-law coming next month. That sucker would feed four with sides, right? And where did you get the half-moon grill? Looks perfect for steaks. (Reverse sear makes me a little nervous, too.)
          Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
        • Looks amazing, thank you for sharing.
          Large BGE Middletown, MD
        • Grambler
          Grambler Posts: 153
          This is one of those cooks that I love to see come back up. Looks fantastic.
        • Parallel
          Parallel Posts: 433
          LOL... man... I could use some steak and eggs right about now.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
        • jfm0830
          edited February 2013
          jlsm said:
          .... That sucker would feed four with sides, right? And where did you get the half-moon grill? Looks perfect for steaks. (Reverse sear makes me a little nervous, too.)
          @jlsn Those steaks were just over 2 pounds each including the bone. When I made them again a week later for my dad's birthday, I cooked 2. I think one might be too little for four people. They were so good there wasn't too much in the way of leftovers. What leftovers there were, I sent home with my parents who told me they reheated wonderfully. One tip I will give you is: if you do get more than one steak, make sure they come from the same piece of meat and adjacent ribs. About three years ago I made three of these bad boys, and one of them ended up being from a different rib of a different animal and it took longer to cook than the other two steaks. I got to know my Butcher, and he now just cuts me two fresh pieces from adjacent ribs whenever I buy these.

As for the half-moon raised grid, it is a BGE standard EggCessory. Most of the BGE dealers around here seem to stock them. One thing I will mention to you Is the size of the raised grid is about 15 inches not the full 18 inch diameter of the Large Egg. This is in case the main grate is at the gasket level and the raised part ends up in the dome. Two of these steaks do fit on the raised grid but it is close quarters.
        • six_egg
          six_egg Posts: 1,110
          That steak is EPIC. IMO if it is not ribeye you can keep it. I eat others but nothing can beat a bone ribeye :)

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• LLambeth
          LLambeth Posts: 36
          Can't wait to try it this weekend !!