Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey breast problems

Options
Tried my test turkey (breast) today with poor results. 7 lb. breast cooked indirect at 350 to an internal temp of 160. Took off after 2 hours and foiled and rested for 5 minutes. Forgot to mention in was using a maverick et-73 in the bird and monitoring remotely. Once it rested, I got the thermapen out to double check and was I surprised to find it was 120 - 140 in most spots. Put in the oven to finish and 25 - 30 minutes later it was up to 160 ish. And it was very dry. I'm signed up for the thanksgiving turkey this year. Looking for any advice on how to correct these issues when turkey day rolls around. Thanks
LBGE, Marietta, GA

Comments

• DawgDays
    Options
    Was it brined, injected, or marinated?
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    Calibrate your maverick and your thermapen. Water boils at sea level 212 degrees. Google for significant elevation. Make sure to not dangle your maverick leads over the steam for too long. They can't get wet or damp apparently. I fried my second one recently I think put it away humid.

Other considerations for dryness: 350 is kind of high and 5 minutes short for rest especially at that temp. Brining or buying a self basting bird will also keep it more moist. Kosher birds are also not a bad way to go if you are concerned with commercial solution ingredients but cannot brine the bird yourself. Don't worry that it's not brined in a peppercorn apple cider blah blah brine. By the time it gets hit with gravy no one can tell. And anyone who possibly could wont complain over a properly cooked turkey.

Good luck. And remember to enjoy yourself win lose or draw. No one will care how good the turkey is if you have yourself all psyched out.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    It wasn't brined, injected or marinated. Assumed (yes I know) that it came in a salt solution since it was in the frozen section at publix. Agreed on testing the maverick and thermapen. If 350 is too high, what some temp would you recommend? Thanks
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • krobertsmsn
    Options
    just curious, was it smokey tasting? I am thinking of doing a breast on the egg for TG but do not want it smokey
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • DawgDays
    Options
    For turkey day IMO you should buy fresh and definitely brine it. It makes a significant difference in the moisture content. I brined for the first time last year and vowed to never omit it again.
  • TonyA
    Options
    I just posted few minutes ago so you can see a turkey done at 300. Look for turkey test run. I have to think your thermapen was low. Frozen doesn't have to mean with solution. Even butterball sells natural turkeys. Do make sure of that for your holiday.
  • TonyA
    Options
    @krobertsmsn it can depend on your charcoal. If you can get wicked good it is pretty neutral. But check out naked whiz for lump reviews.
  • krobertsmsn
    Options
    I do have wicked so I'll go with that and no chips/chunks of wood...thanks
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    DawgDays said:
    For turkey day IMO you should buy fresh and definitely brine it. It makes a significant difference in the moisture content. I brined for the first time last year and vowed to never omit it again.
    +1. And you're right: Frozen doesn't mean it has been injected. Look for "water added."
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia