Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Other Brand Lump Charcoal

Since getting my LBGE this summer I have only used the BGE lump. During my regular shopping at Ralph's today I discovered they not only carry lump, but three different brands. Their own Kroger brand, Best of the West, and Fire and Flavor. Has anybody used any of these with success?
LBGE - July 2012
Valencia, CA

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    You have asked a question that should elicit many and varied responses-to answer your question, I use the Kroger brand lump (a derivative of Royal Oak and made by the same supplier as the one who feeds BGE lump)  and have for a few years with good success.  I have seen the others but haven't tried them.  I keep a supply of Wicked Good Weekend Warrior on hand for "serious" low&slows but have run the cooking spectrum with the Kroger lump with no problems.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jfarley
    jfarley Posts: 145
    That's good news. Without your report I would have been hesitant to use it but will now give it a try. While I didn't pay attention to the price, I'm suspecting it is less expansive than the BGE. It's also a heck of a lot closer if I'm ever in a pinch. Thanks lousubcap!
    LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • I have tried Best of the West (Mesquite), available at SAMS it worked fine, Wicked Good Weekend Warrior is good, the last I tried is local to me Chigger Creek it also is very good.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • I'm not a big fan of the Fire and Flavor.  I had several pieces of concrete in the bag I bought and it had a really strong smokey flavor.  Not the good kind of smoke either.  I just bought a bag of the Kroger Brand tonight so I really don't have any input on it yet.
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    Ozark Oak is all I use, so I'm not any help.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • texbagger
    texbagger Posts: 90
    edited November 2012
    Most brands of lump tested at www.nakedwhiz.com
    Best of the West: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag22.htm
    I didn't see the other two, but look for yourself.
    Whiz comes in here frequently and has one of the best web sites anywhere.  Whiz tests everything from lump to stokers.  He has one of the best web sites out there. 

Of course you should buy all 3 and pick your favorite like I do, if it's not listed on his website.

I like to keep my target price at 50 cents a pound if I can find it that cheap.  At least that's what I shoot for and gauge the price on.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Kroger = BGE = Royal Oak. All the same, just price difference. I used the Kroger exclusively for a long time, until we moved. Now the nearest grocery store is Tom Thumb and its much better than the nearby Kroger, so I no longer go there to shop and get lump.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    While I usually stand in awe of Griffin I respectfully disagree. I had huge success with BGE but noticed a extreme drop of in RO. Lower temp and less burn time.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • RO is my staple, Best of the West is good, Cowboy is crap.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Hmmm...interesting @henapple, especially since Royal Oak supplies BGE with their lump. I guess I should preface all that by saying that's what I've always been told and read. You may very well be right. I've never tried BGE lump because I'm not gonna pay that much for lump when I can get other brands that I am happy with. Royal oak always lights quickly and gets up to high temperatures quickly for me.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• henapple
    I know companies supply different levels of quality under different names. Did that when I was at Whirlpool. I'm just going on experience...or my experience. They "gave" me a bag of BGE at purchase and so far it's the best I've used. I've noticed several complaints on the forum lately. Maybe they've dropped standards, I don't know. BGE is expensive. I'm dying to try Ozark...going through Arkansas soon and will get some.
  • I bought a bag of BGE lately and wasn't pleased with it's perfromance doing a "low and slow".  However, when I want to get the EGG hot for a steak, BGE works great.  I am only using it in that capacity til it's gone, then it will be all RO...which seems to do both very well.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    When I bought my egg in March I got 4 bags of BGE lump.  They seemed to work fine - could get whatever temp I wanted and not too much ash - but SWMBO found the smoke flavour too acrid so I switched to Basque and it seemed cleaner.  I'm going to try Wicked Good because I never seem to get large chunks in Basque.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• henapple
    Every one is different...I found wgww to have an aftertaste...and burn to hot for a l&s.
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    henapple said:
    I know companies supply different levels of quality under different names. Did that when I was at Whirlpool. I'm just going on experience...or my experience. They "gave" me a bag of BGE at purchase and so far it's the best I've used. I've noticed several complaints on the forum lately. Maybe they've dropped standards, I don't know. BGE is expensive. I'm dying to try Ozark...going through Arkansas soon and will get some.
    I recommend you look for it at Harps.  It's typically $5 a bag there, and sometimes drops to $4.
  • I use Kroger brand interchangeably with Royal Oak. Same stuff.
  • henapple
    Where is harps? I'm going 40...30, Memphis to Texas
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    henapple said:
    Where is harps? I'm going 40...30, Memphis to Texas

I'd recommend the one in Benton, it's on I-30 about 25 miles south of Little Rock.  If you don't use GPS, let me know and I'll get you the exit and turns. They had about 40 bags out last time I was there.

Harps # 138
    1515 Hwy 5 North
    Benton, AR 72015

(501) 794-0820

• henapple
    Have it marked on google maps....thanks
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    The rumors I have heard is that the BGE is "hand selected" from Royal Oak.  I envision this probably just means it goes through some kind of sifting process, and the stuff that falls through the sifter ends up in the bags they send to Wal-mart and Kroger ;)

Still, for the price difference and convenience I usually go with Kroger brand.  Since I got the high queue it doesn't matter so much.  Give it a stir and the smaller cr@p falls through.  I'm doing my own sifting ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• I like Best of The West especially for the money. Normally $8 for a 20# bag at SAMs. Bought local SAMs remaining supply, 20 bags for $20. (Season close-out)
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
  • henapple
    Smokey...I agree. Option, that's a deal.