Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My alternative to a looftlighter

I usually us fire starters 1 match and 10 minutes to start my BGE, but yesterday i was running late and my 4 year old daughter had Karate class so I hauled out my wife hair dryer turned it on high with heat and in no time i had a whole a nice roaring fire.
I was expecting "Not only have you ruined my pans on that thing, but now my hair dryer" from the better half (Because now the hair dryer smells like Smoke!). Here is what i did get "Thats OK I wanted to get a new one any how ".
So anyone out there are thinking of trying this trick be aware that it is pretty much an Eggcessorie afterwards.

A child can ask questions a wise man can't answer!!!
Canada
Large @ Small BGE 

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Good tip!  Did you actually light the lump with the hair dryer, or did you use a starter cube and use the hair dryer to fan the flames?  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    If it works, OK.  But careful with the plastic.  I actually seared/melted the end of my Loof by holding it too close for too long. 
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.
  • Rzeancak
    Rzeancak Posts: 193
    I used the starter cube and the hair dryer fanned the flames.  This wont be an everyday thing but in a pinch it really works.
    Canada
    Large @ Small BGE 

• I use a mattress inflater.  Its a small fan and it does a great job.

Cheers
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    In a pinch I have used a leaf blower, added benefit...the ash blows all over hell but is cleaned out of the egg.  Just remember don't try this after the meat is on the grill!
    500 Posts: 3,177
    I use an Air Grill to blow on the coals after I hit it with a weed burner.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

I have found nothing faster than rolling up two pieces of paper towell like loosely rolled cigars twisting the ends. Drizzle them both with cooking oil (before you roll them up) and making a X in the middle of the lump. Take the larger pieces and teepee them over the flame and it gets going quickly. Leave lid open for a few minutes, set the vents, go inside and prep, when I come out it is maxed to my vent temp. If I do pizzas, I have no problem getting my large up to 700 in 5-10 minutes with this method.

I was using too many starter cubes, alcohol was not working for me, had my dog get burned on the felectric ire starter, never thought of a hair dryer, and wanted a cheap alternative to a looftlighter.... saw this method on the forum and have not looked back.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    lwrehm said:
    In a pinch I have used a leaf blower...
    Been there, done that, works great. Blew the ash out first, then cleaned off the deck, then lit the BGE and had it up to temp in no time. 
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Just another tip...if you blow it through the bottom draft door it will help a great deal and likely won't ruin the hair dryer ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Rzeancak
    Rzeancak Posts: 193

Good idea using the bottom draft door!  Ill give that try also, Ill use the paper towel also when there are no fire staters handy.   Thats another reason why this forum rocks!!!! Everyone are so resourceful.

Canada
    Large @ Small BGE 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Also, if you have a heat gun, they're like hair dryers on steroids, and the prerequisite existing flame is not necessary.  Unfortunately, they need 'lectricity.  My go to starter is propane torch.