Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Turkey

Options
Phoenix824
Phoenix824 Posts: 243
edited November 2012 in Poultry

Practiced my Thanksgiving Turkey today.    I only took one pic because we are remodeling the kitchen and are finishing a 720 SF addition to the house.    Everything is a mess but the Turkey turned our great.   No fixin's just some green beans for a side dish.

Yes that is a saw horse you see that the board is sitting on.    What a table....

Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE

Comments

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options

when you have time I'd like to hear the rundown on how you prepared it/seasoned it and the set-up for your cook.

That looks picture perfect and if it tasted half as good it's a winner! 

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Phoenix824
    Options
    I bought the holder you see it sitting in a couple of months ago just for the turkey.   It held the legs and wings in tight to the bird so everything cooked at the same time.    I cooked it indirect at 300 until it hit 160 in the breast.      To prep it I just put some EVOO in a bowl and mixed in some sage and italian seasonings.     I rubbed the EVOO and spices under the skin and all over the exterior of the bird right before I put it in the egg.    Pretty simple.      I did not do anything special to the bird other than the EVOO and spice as a matter of fact I took it out of the bag about 5 minutes before I rubbed it.
  • timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    Options
    How large a Turkey?  How long did it take to cook?
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Phoenix824
    Options
    I just bought a small one 15 lbs.     It took about 4 hours at 300 but I was not really watching the time.   When it hit temp it was done.    
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options
    did you use any kind of woodchips or smoke?

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Phoenix824
    Options
    I had some apple chunks.      I put in about 4.    Was just doing a light smoke.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Looks great. Where did you get the turkey holder? Also, did you consider brining?
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Phoenix824
    Options

I found it at a kitchen accessories store.  Le Gourmet Chef.    I did not consider brining first off due to time.    When I tell you the house is torn up it is really torn up.    I do not have a single room not touched by construction since we are in what is basically the last week of the project.     Our new bedroom just had floors installed Friday and electrical completes tomorrow.    Son's room completes tomorrow.    Daughters room will be complete when my wife and I move out of it since she is getting our old room.    Her room became a hallway, 1/2 bath and walk in closet for our old room.     Kitchen had a load bearing wall taken down two weeks ago.    We have to finish paint and replacing cabinets.      The other reason I did not consider brining is I have been told you really only want to brine a fresh turkey.    I have heard you do not want to brine a store bought turkey since it can taste too salty but I am not sure if that is actually the case.   The link to the store when I bought the holder is below.

http://www.legourmetchef.com/default.cfm

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Thanks for the link. I'm getting ready to try my first turkey next weekend. Good to know you shouldn't brine a store bought frozen turkey. Good luck on the house.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    tulocay said:
    Thanks for the link. I'm getting ready to try my first turkey next weekend. Good to know you shouldn't brine a store bought frozen turkey. Good luck on the house.
    It'll say something like "treated with an 8% solution of broth, plutonium, salt, sodium phosphates, sugar, underwear gnomes...etc."  Lots of them aren't pre-brined and they're still frozen and sold at stores.  So you'll be ok if you read the ingredients before you buy.

Yeh,  What Nola just said.    You don't want to brine the treated ones.   

• wnbasac
    Options
    umm loked all over the site and couldn't find the rack

do you recall what it was called?

tks,lou
  • Phoenix824
    Options

I hope this link works,   I just found this one on Amazon.   It looks like the same one to me.

http://www.amazon.com/Nifty-Non-Stick-Gourmet-Turkey-Lifter/dp/B004E5QJQ6/ref=sr_1_54?ie=UTF8&qid=1352142246&sr=8-54&keywords=roasting+rack+for+turkey

Or Search Nifty Turkey Lifter at Amazon

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    It'll say something like "treated with an 8% solution of broth, plutonium, salt, sodium phosphates, sugar, underwear gnomes...etc."  Lots of them aren't pre-brined and they're still frozen and sold at stores.  So you'll be ok if you read the ingredients before you buy.
    But I like the taste of underwear gnomes. Its my favorite secret ingredient.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Griffin said:
    I find them a little gamey myself, nothing that an overnight soak in buttermilk doesn't help.
    Griffin said:
    I find them a little gamey myself, nothing that an overnight soak in buttermilk doesn't help.
    I always thought they taste like chicken.
    Flint, Michigan
  • jbates67
    jbates67 Posts: 168
    Options
    I just purchased a turkey for a test run. It was a pre frozen turkey that is in an 8% solution, can someone please tell me why it shouldn't be brined?
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Technically you could still brine it but it may be excessive on the salty side the solution injected is basically just brine anyways