Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pot roast

Options
Doing a basic PR this weekend following the old style recipe. My CI DO has legs. Can I go PS up and sit directly on? Some say cover and some say don't. Opinions?
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    I'm gonna try out my new CI DO this weekend and don't plan on covering it.  I'm hoping this will add a little smokiness flavor to it.  Mine doesn't have legs, but I don't see why you couldn't sit it on your PS.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited November 2012
    Options
    You should be fine setting on the plate setter if you have legs on the DO.  With a legless DO, I think it is a good idea to add some kind of spacer.  I use the BGE green feet. 

My opinion is no cover.  Like BeanCounter said you will add some smoke flavor to the cook by leaving it uncovered.  It is not going to absorb a ton of smoke but it will get some. 

I was thinking next time I tried pot roast I might put the chuck on a rack above the DO for an hour or two so it gets a little more smoke.  I am just going to rest some kind of rack on the open dutch oven with the other stuff inside, then after an hour or two add the roast to the pot.  I haven't tried this yet, but it seems it would allow the beef to take on a little more smoke. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    You should be fine setting on the plate setter if you have legs on the DO.  With a legless DO, I think it is a good idea to add some kind of spacer.  I use the BGE green feet. 

I was thinking next time I tried pot roast I might put the chuck on a rack above the DO for an hour or two so it gets a little more smoke.  I am just going to rest some kind of rack on the open dutch oven with the other stuff inside, then after an hour or two add the roast to the pot.  
    I really like that idea.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited November 2012
    Options
    If you cover it, you might as well cook it in the oven, as you will get none of the benefits of the added smokiness. 

I asked a question recently about using a stainless steel pot (since I don't own a dutch oven), and was given enough encouragement that I'm gonna try it.  However, I plan on putting spacers between the pot & the plate setter - however, I think that the cast iron that the dutch oven is made out of is strong enough to handle the heat & can be placed directly on the plate setter (though, if it was me, I'd still use spacers cuz it might help the ingredients at the bottom from getting scorched) - though, that's just my thoughts...

BTW, care to present details about the recipe - I've been wanting to try pot roast in the Egg (my GF has done it in the crock pot b4, but we've never done it in the Egg) - make sure to take lotsa pics!!

Good luck!!

EDIT:  just re-read & saw that your DO has legs - you should be good w/out the spacers!!
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Found several and all are close to the same.

Sear roast
    Soften veggies in oil
    Add garlic and sugar
    Add meat
    Add chicken and beef broth
    Simmer at 300 till 210 then one more hr

I'll try to post a link later...driving right now.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options

There are few meat preparations I enjoy more than a good pot roast. But often times I find the final plating can be lacking - everything is soft and similar in flavor.  For me, the following gives the final plating some balance in texture, flavor, and color.

I often start my liquid with red wine and beef broth.  I brown the meat, saute crushed garlic with any vegetables, then deglaze and simmer it prior to cooking with large bunches of herbs (I like parsley and tarragon) and then remove the garlic and herbs after about 20 minutes. I find simmering the wine gives a much deeper flavor down the road, and the essence of the herbs is nice and subtle.

I don't add the sauted vegetables back until after the meat is practically done.  I cook them for an hour and a half so they are tender but retain body and flavor.

I recently did a cook where I added potato, mushroom and onion that were all sauted. I then topped the dish with grilled leeks. They added some added crunch and texture.  Oh, I also cut the roast into 6-7 large pieces, basically taking the fat veins out.  Makes the liquid much easier to manage and reduce and also easier to serve.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Forgive my blasphemy because I don't do my roasts on the Egg.  

I first add oil to the pot, sear the meat on both sides, add dry onion soup to the top of the roast, add some water, then cover and simmer for 3 or so hours.  It's called braising.  About half way through the cook, I add carrots, onions and potatoes, and maybe green beans.  Sometimes, I'll add some beef demi glace if I want a really rich sauce.  I use chuck roast so the marbling will add to the sauce.

The roast is fork tender with a great sauce.

I also try to get a bigger roast than we will eat, so I can make hash in the next couple of days.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• travisstrick
    Options
    No cover. Sear first like VI said. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.