Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Use a meat probe for dome temp?

Options
Bullibe
Bullibe Posts: 132
edited July 2012 in Off Topic
Anybody see a problem using an old wireless thermometer that came with a meat probe as a measurement of grate temp? If I do this can I lay it on the grate or does it need to be held up off of it with something non-metallic? Thanks for the advice.
Redneck Riviera, Gulf Shores, Alabama

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Personally haven't done it but it should work as long as you elevate it off the grate as you note.  May want to also shield the cable with some foil as extra insulation.  Let us know how it works out.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    edited July 2012
    Options
    to get grate temp you want the probe clipped or directly on the grate but no fire hitting it 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • cuangler
    cuangler Posts: 22
    Options
    Stick it through a wine cork and use that to set it on the grill.
  • Bullibe
    Options
    Thanks for the help, I am new to Eggin' and am still figuring things out. Bought a new thermometer before I realized the old one only had a wire off of it's pc board, so this could be a great help to me trusting my pit temp settings are not going wild as I am doing other things. I will let you know how it works.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Also, while this may work fine for low temp smoking, if you do any really hot cooking, you may exceed the probe's rated temperature range and kill it.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    If I do this can I lay it on the grate or does it need to be held up off of it with something non-metallic? Thanks for the advice.
    Get a aligator clip for it and you're good to go.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Bullibe
    Options
    Works fine for low temp cooks, which is all I have tried it on. Bought a BBQ-Guru, but didn't go with the wi-fi model, too cheap I guess ! I still use it for grate temp because it allows me to run around the house and still do other things and be able to see what the temp is. Just makes me feel better. Thanks for the advise.
  • gumbo_bill
    Options
    For low temp cooks 250F and below I drop it down the daisy wheel for the beginning part of the cook.  Then I make note of temp on thermometer built into the lid.  Then I insert into the meat for last 1/2 the cook.  I like the wireless probes so I can monitor temp while inside.  Over 325F or so  may fry the probe.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    cuangler said:
    Stick it through a wine cork and use that to set it on the grill.
    I have a couple of these and they work great.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE