Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

what should the 1st meal be?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello, I just purchased an Egg for my husbands birthday as a surprise. What would you recommend he cook for the first unintimidating but impressive meal?

Comments

• Seattle Todd
    Seattle Todd Posts: 227
    Options
    fishinganne,[p]I would recommend steak for the first. Easiest thing to do and it'll be better than anything you've eaten from a gas or charcoal grill.[p]Todd
  • TheHulk
    TheHulk Posts: 157
    Options
    Seattle Todd,[p]I second that. TRex's method has raised the bar for my steak cooking experiences...[p]The Hulk
    [ul][li]TRex Steak[/ul]
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    fishinganne,
    I would reccomend a Spatchcock chicken. Very easy to make and it really shows off what the egg can do.

[ul][li]Spatchcock Chicken[/ul]
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Yo Mrs. Fishinganne,[p]Often I have seen it posted that you should not try a new recipe or technique when you are cooking for others or a special occasion. Just in case it doesn't work out as you planned.[p]I suggest that you come to my house and practice, say five or six days a week. I would think that after two or three months you will have gotten everything nailed down and you and your hubby will be able to eat like kings (and queens).[p]Now before you thank me, let me at least offer to pay for about half of the food costs. It's the least that I can do.[p]Having said that, I would think that anything that cooks in the higher temps (grilling) would be the way to go (you can tackle the low and slow cooks later). I saw that steaks were mentioned and I have to admit that it hard to beat a good rib-eye. It's also hard to beat a stuffed tenderloin or a whole chicken...[p]On the other hand, I will take a shot in the dark and say that you have never made pizza on a bbq grill before. The egg does quite well with them as well. It would be something to remember the big day by and the topping are limted only by your own imagination.[p]Brews,
    Matt.

• Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Options
    I find that pizzas are kind of tricky to get right. They may come out okay, but most people don't get that "knock your socks off" pizza on their first try. Plus, most people use some kind of special equipment to cook pizza.[p]Steaks, however, are pretty darn easy. If you undercook them, you can just throw them back on for a little bit. Even if you overcook, you'll probably still be surprised by how juicy they are.
  • Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Eggtuary,[p]My vote is for steak or pork tenderloin. Both are very easy and very delicious.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Eggtuary,[p]Good point... I guess that I hadn't considered the learning curve.[p]Brews,
    Matt.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    2005002444.jpg
    <p />fishinganne,
    i would go with the steak. pick your favorite. i like big big sirloins and 2 bone prime ribs. yes, i consider the 2 bone to be a steak. get directions on the trex process
    2005233303.jpg
    01fd68e1.jpg

[ul][li]trex method of steaks[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • egghead2004
    egghead2004 Posts: 430
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Man, Ribeyes are now my favorite cut. But looking at the 2 bone prime rib....I'll have to try it that way.

• Smokin Bob
    Smokin Bob Posts: 239
    Options
    Retired Railroader ,[p]I second that!!!