Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Will one Accessory fill the bill?

Grillin_G_Ma
Grillin_G_Ma Posts: 102
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
We have used our LBGE 3 times and love it. But I realize that we need to be able to do two things: 1. Raise up the grid so that we can cook raised direct 2. Add another grid so that we can grill side dishes at the same time Is there one accessory that will do both or do we need two? What would you eggsperts recommend? Thanks for all of your help.

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Basic for raising the grid is a Woo from the Ceramic Grill Store.  They have fancier rigs.  The best way (IMHO) to do sides at different temps is to get a second Egg; however I would opine that you could get a half moon stone to create a direct side and an side-dish side.  Note that the side dishes probably take more cooking time than your direct meat.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    edited October 2012
    You can buy woos, adjustable rigs and they work great.  Or you can spend a little less and make your own.  I have been using this one for over a year and it works great for an extended grid. 5" bolts with wing nuts to make it adjustable for how high I want it in the dome. I actually now have only 3 bolts not 4 as shown. And an little small grid for the 2nd grid.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Actually, bricks and a Webber grid works too.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Mine is exactly like Dave's....I think I originally saw his and copied it, despite the gator.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    I have a large BGE and a pswoo3. I'd like to add an extender and I like the tought of making one, either like Dave's or follow Doc's suggestion to use fire brick's. For an LGBE, what size Weber grid is best for the extender?

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited November 2012
    ...however I would opine that you could get a half moon stone to create a direct side and an side-dish side.  Note that the side dishes probably take more cooking time than your direct meat.
    Would the half moon raised grill grate with the drip pan installed do about the same thing?
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited November 2012

I think that an under $30 alternative option is the BGE extended grill.  Although made of chrome plated instead of Stainle$$, it offers a flip up features for double cooking.  If installed correctly it makes a nice affordable set-up that you don't have to construct. JMO

If money is not important, I also like the swing rack.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041

I think that an under $30 alternative option is the BGE extended grill.  Although made of chrome plated instead of Stainle$$, it offers a flip up features for double cooking.  If installed correctly it makes a nice affordable set-up that you don't have to construct. JMO

i hated mine, got it with my grill, flimsy hard to put on and remove (the way it clips to the lower grate)  i bought a 10 webber grid and use empty beer cans to raise it, my favorite part is emptying the beer cans into my belly though
  • Three bricks. $1.50. Make sure you get real (fired) bricks, not concrete.
    LBGE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    DocWonmug said:
    Three bricks. $1.50. Make sure you get real (fired) bricks, not concrete.
    I have concrete bricks - no problems after a dozen uses - should I consider replacing them?
  • Nola, my comment is more theoretical.  I know the real bricks are inert, not sure on the concrete ones.
    LBGE
  • nolaegghead
    Yeah, you're right - the fired bricks would do better than cement.  I think I have cement - they're pavers.  I've seen cement explode from heat - I think I've just been lucky, but good advice, nonetheless.
    no, one ever mentioned it but I swear beer and bourbon make my egging even better, if I have enough the results don't matter the trip there was good enough!
  • nolaegghead
    U_tarded said:
    no, one ever mentioned it but I swear beer and bourbon make my egging even better, if I have enough the results don't matter the trip there was good enough!
    Makes the shrapnel wounds from the exploding cement pavers way less painful, at least.

U_tarded said:
    Makes the shrapnel wounds from the exploding cement pavers way less painful, at least.
    exactly that is why it should be the fill the bill accessory
  • nolaegghead
    hahaha - indeed...we need to stay on topic
  • GLW
    GLW Posts: 178

+1 on BGE extender grate.  i use mine all the time.

When in doubt add more pepper.