Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

enameled cast iron question

Looking hard at some enameled pieces. Just how much trouble is it to clean?

thanks

bob

My actuary says I'm dead.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Not a problem at all. Oxy clean and dish soap and a soak. Try not to burn stuff in it

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• It cleans remarkably well. But don't rule out regular cast iron. Relatively inexpensive and cleans easily, even things like apple crisp baked for an hour in my dutch oven cleans up with mild work.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Not a problem at all. Oxy clean and dish soap and a soak. Try not to burn stuff in it

I agree....LS gave me that tip a couple months ago and it works like magic. I soak the piece in sink with oxyclean for 15 minutes, lift out and the soot/grease is gone. Rarely have to scrub.
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    I agree with @jeroldharter,  I'm a big fan of vintage cast iron.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited October 2012

Looking hard at some enameled pieces. Just how much trouble is it to clean?

thanks

bob

None what so ever.
    Here is a link I posted the other day :  http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1144792/chili-tonight#latest.  

I used the cream small enameled CI to make the chili.  It is covered with foil because I was too lazy to put a small soap film around the outside for easy clean up.
    Here are the pictures after it was washed with just soap and hot water.

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Found a nice La Creuset at tj maxx today. $100...passed though. Looking for a Lodge with feet.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • GLW
    GLW Posts: 178
    I have a few LC and several pieces of lodge. I really enjoy cooking on the LC but I really can't tell the difference between a $200 LC and a $20 lodge. Both cook very well and cleanup is easy with both.
    When in doubt add more pepper.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364

Agree with GLW, really no difference.  You could find a color where it blends with the soot, creating a custom finish and not worry about it at all?

:D

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• just asking: if the color does not matter such that you are willing to trash the color, why pay a 100% premium over basic lodge cast irpn?
  • brewbq
    brewbq Posts: 52
    I use my Lodge cast iron a lot and have no issues.  Just don't use soap and after a while everything just rinses out with hot water.  I have a scrub brush just for it and after cleaning I oil it down the same as my Wok.  No issues.  I do need to get a dutch oven tho...
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    just asking: if the color does not matter such that you are willing to trash the color, why pay a 100% premium over basic lodge cast irpn?

All that matters to me is the inside enamel.  When you price them you will see, there is little difference between traditional and enamelled.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• About a month ago I bought a cheap enamel coated DO from a departments store, I think it was Martha Stewart brand. seemed like a nice piece.  Had my heart set on Egrets chili.  Got home unpacked it left the lid in the packaging though.  Cooked teh chili and It was AWESOME!  i washed the DO and when I went to put it away i noticed the enamel was chipped under the lid.  i returned it.

Last week while traveling I got a great deal on a le Crueset 7 qt oval in a outlet center in Minnesota, Discontinued color $150.  Took it home and cooked up another batch of Egrets chili.  I have to say the Le Creuset cooked differently.  I followed the same steps and have to say the family liked the latter batch better thant the first.  Both wre great though.

• As far as the inside, enamel is like glass. Almost non stick and cleans easy. Soak it in hot water, and stuff comes off easy. Much better to cook on than plain CI.
    LBGE