Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spicy Mussels and Clams

Mrs. G loves mussels, so when I spotted a new recipe for them in a cookbook my Grandma just gave me, I knew I had to try it out on her.

Set up the Egg at 350 for a direct cook. Browned up some bacon and then added in some leeks, mushrooms and garlic and cooked them till tender.

Then deglazed the dutch oven with some white wine. Really like how this picture came out as I kind ablindly shot it in the dark since my patio has hardly any light.

Added some chicken broth, tomatoes, red curry paste and then the mussels and clams.

When all the mussels were open, removed it from heat, added butter, tossed in some linguini and parsley for garnish.

Had to serve it up with some hot, crusty bread to soak up all that delicious broth.

Turned out to be a really good recipe and even though the title suggest is was supposed to be spicy, we didn't pick any of that up. Maybe we got the wrong red curry paste? I'm not sure. Maybe we didn't add enough? Nothing some Louisiana Hot Sauce couldn't fix.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Jason will you marry me :x
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Whoa!  My wife and oldest daughter would love that.  That is a very pretty cook!

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• That really looks good.....I love mussels and clams
  • I am a total seafood hound and that looks awesome!!! Nicely done!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Sorry @Mickey I'm already taken.

Thanks guys. It was actually a pretty easy and quick cook. Could easily be done inside, but where's the fun in that?

Original recipe only called for mussels, but when I went to get them, the clams sitting right next to them were screaming "Me too, me too!"

Rowlett, Texas

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

Those are some tasty looking Bivalves.

Have you tried the Mussels at **** And Bull down by my house?

By the looks of those I think you might have them beat.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Griffin
    No, I haven't. Don't think we've ever been there. I've had the ones at Old Monk, though.

Rowlett, Texas

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

Also the Porch used to have some increible ones.

Have not been to the Old Monk in years. St Pattys day was a doozy and my Mensa member friends and I became super smart and were ejected.

The good ole days.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks great Griffin, Was it from a new cookbook or one that was passed down? I enjoy getting and giving cookbooks for the holidays and need to find some good ones.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Lookin good as always Griff!   That looks like a really fun meal or appetizer.  Makes me thirsty for a Beligan beer. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited October 2012
    Mmmm nice and tasty looking vittles as always Griffin! I really like the looks of that next to the last picture. I can relate to shooting in the dark. Thank goodness for flashes with auto-focus assist beams. By springtime I wanna have some lights in my new grill gazebo. It's a PITA trying to judge doneness in dim lighting.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195

Now your talking Griff, love mussels, more then clams. Have not had them for while, thanks for the reminder

• GLW
    GLW Posts: 178
    You're my favorite cook!!!
    When in doubt add more pepper.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Very nice, I cant wait to duplicate and post!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023

Very nice, Griffin!  That looks incredible. And BTW, thanks for telling me about this forum...I didn't even know it existed...I thought there was only the greeneggers forum.  :)

And Jim, nice to see you over here as well! 

• Griffin,

Fantastic as always......I must admit for the past month and a half I have been away from trying new things with my egg....this post and your stir fry post of re-energized me. Also love your blog, it is a great resource. I used it for some apps for my Halloween party (unfortunately we were to busy to take pictures).

One quick question, did you drain the bacon grease or just leave it in Dutch oven? Thanks.
  • Griffin

Thanks for all the nice comments.

@Solson005 - it was one of my Grandma's old cookbooks that she gave me Saturday. "Blue Bonnet Cafe: Still Cookin' 80th Anniversary Cookbook). Its a small cafe in Marble Falls, Texas. I love paging through cookbooks and she knows this so she gave it to me as she hardly cooks anymore.

@jfm0830 - I'd love to add some more lighting, but alas its a rent house. Usually come winter, i wear one of those headbands with a light on it, but it does funny things with pictures, so I have to turn it off and shoot blind.

@Dyal_SC - glad you are here finally. I thought you knew about both of them, but chose the other one. You are gonna fit in here well and these guys are gonna love you cooks.

@brewcityegger - I did not drain the grease, just left it in there so the veggies could sautee in it. It wasn't much as it was only 1/2 cup of bacon.

Rowlett, Texas

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    So as not to go off topic...let me say plus 1 to Griffin's comment welcoming you aboard and they will indeed love your cooks here. 

I'd sent you as message this very day saying I was no longer posting at SR's board and that I hoped to see you here someday. Looks like I got my wish instantly.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.