Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cheap lump in Atlanta?

WGWW is $20 a bag at my local Ace -- ouch!

Any tips for finding a bargain? I keep seeing posts from other regions with <$10 and I'm insanely jealous.

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    there are two resturant depots in atlanta one off jimmy carter and one downtown. i have never been to the one downtown. but i used to drive to the one off jimmy carter. i now go to one in charlotte. the lump is royal oak and is about $9 for the 17.63lb bag. i drive to charlotte every thursday and the rd is only 4 miles out of my way.HTH

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I've heard restaurant depot has good prices but you have to have a business license to shop there. There is a location in Atlanta and Norcross.   From what a understand any business license will do...you don't have to be in the food service industry.  I recall one post where you could get a "day pass" but that was a long time ago.  Might be worth giving them a call.  It's pretty far from me so I haven't messed with it.  

I'm pretty sure that WW is expensive everywhere.  The only deal I have seen is (think it was NOLA) found a groupon at ace hardware in his area that worked for anything so he got a deal.  I looked and couldn't find any such groupon in Atlanta area.  If one comes around I might just have to score some.  I have not tried the WW yet. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• In our area in Northern Clifornia you do have to be in the restaurant business , however, if yor are a member of KCBS (only $35 a year) you can get a membership card........this might be the same in your area
  • Keep an eye open for deals on lump at Kroger. We bought about 10 bags at $5.47 a bag a month or so ago. The bags weigh 8.8lbs and the lump is made by Royal Oak I believe.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    At academy they have like a 20 pound bag of I believe it's called bandb for like $10. Heard its decent. I pay the $20 for wicked good gladly.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    I found RO at vickory do it best hardware in Smyrna. They stock it year round. Around $6.88 per 8.8 lb bag. I believe there are similar stores in the Atlanta area.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I got 3 bags of WGWW from Ace last week for half price because we bought a $60 groupon for $30. 
    WalMart on Memorial dr in Decatur sells RO around six bucks for 8.8lb bag
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • Lit
    Royal oak is not good compared to wicked good. Wicked good is about the same price at 22 lbs for 19.99. Personally the only deal better than Wicked good is going to arkansas and getting the 10 pound bags of Ozark oak for $4.50 at harps but that's not really an option so I buy wicked good. Ace put out coupons alot so I stock up when they do.
  • Do you have a Sam's club nearby?  I've been using Best of the West and, so far, have had no complaints.  I know some have had problems, but for the money, ($8.00 for 20lbs.), I've found that it's hard to beat.
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
  • tulocay said:
    I found RO at vickory do it best hardware in Smyrna. They stock it year round. Around $6.88 per 8.8 lb bag. I believe there are similar stores in the Atlanta area.

This is about 10 minutes from my house even though we're in Atlanta proper. Got 4 bags of the RO today for $7 each. Pretty satisfied and they do indeed keep it stocked year round
  • Goody
    Goody Posts: 102
    Wal-Mart Stocks the 8.8lb bags of Royal Oak. They run $6 and change per bag. I will go in and buy 6 bags at a time and that lasts me 5-6 months. Its seasonal for Wal-Mart so you have to buy it this time of year to stock up for winter. Actually just loaded up a few weeks ago at the Wal-Mart on Mansell in Roswell. I have also bought at the Wal-Mart on Windward in Alpharetta. I am sure the Wal-Mart on 41 near Dobbins sells the same stuff if you live over in Cobb/Smyrna area.
  • Lit
    I wish 5-6 bags would last me 6 months. I would guess that would last about a month and a half around here. Hit up the ace on hwy 9 between exit 12 and 13 they sell 22 pound bags of wicked good for $19.99 its much better lump than royal oak for the same price.