Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Walkerswood Jerk marinade - I get it now

Options
I've made my own jerk marinade for years now and it is a family favorite.

I've heard enough people mention Walkerswood jerk marinade on here and other bbq forums that it seemed like a standard among the grilling crowd.   Any time that jerk chicken came up, someone always praised Walkerswood.  I thought it would be good to try it but didn't want to go through ordering it online.

This weekend I was in Kroger's and saw it on the shelf for $6.99.  I bought it and used it tonight on plain ol' chicken breasts (5 hour marinade).

Grilled them 5 minutes a side at 400f (they were pounded thin) on my large Egg and made jerk chicken sandwiches with them.  Served them with some sweet potato fries and a jerk mayo made with mayo, DP Firewalk, and lime juice. 

I totally get it now.  Wow that is some good stuff, the whole family raved about it.  It has a flavor and heat that defines jerk.  I was very impressed and can't wait to try it on some wings. 

I should have listened to you guys/gals earlier. 
Knoxville, TN
Nibble Me This

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Platter looks better than most restaurants...great job.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Thanks henapple.  Looks are deceiving, the sweet potato fries were lame.  The recipe I used guaranteed "crispy fries" and they were not.  Tasted good, but texture was not there. 

But the jerk chicken sandwiches?  They were the tops.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Great looking dish.  Never heard of the marinade.  Got it on my list.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    My wife does "fries" in the oven. Slice, dip in egg and sprinkle with parmesan. Cook to your desired crispness.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Glad you finally tried it and liked it. Did you taste it before you marinated the chicken? I always thought the heat ends up cooking out of it in the end. I'd prefer a bit more heat, but its not bad in a pinch.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options

Walkerswood is good stuff.  Found it at the local asian grocer for $3.99 a bottle.  Thanks for the reminder to restock.

Nice basket Chris.

B-)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Nice looking basket! Walkerswood Mild Jerk is tasty on wings! It is plenty hot for me but I can't handle much heat.

I have a jar of their Hot & Spicy Jerk (made with scotch bonnets) that I'm almost afraid to try.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA