Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hurricane

Options
I am sending my thoughts and prayers to all of you eggers who are in the path of Sandy. I hope that you, your family, friends and eggs stay safe!

Comments

• Parallel
    Parallel Posts: 433
    Options
    I'll second that!

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Yeah, good luck.  Lock down the hatches and stay safe.  Don't let the category 1 designation fool you.  This is a big storm.  Power might be out for some of you for weeks.  I hope not.
    edited October 2012
    Options
    lights flickered here thats about it so far lots of high winds threatening the trees . big old pine tree across the street been watching it trying to kneel think that may go soon 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Options
    Our prayers are with you all!
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Thanks all.  Not to bad in Central PA so far, just some pretty good winds and moderate rain.  Supposed to get worse the next few hours as what's left of the eye passes over us, but so far, not bad.  Power stayed on so now I have no excuse to eat all the ice cream in the freezer.
    Options
    We had about 2 days of obnoxious wind and rain when Isaac hit.   Seemed to go on and on.  This is just the beginning of a very long event.  Big big storm.  Keep us updated, keep the lump burning and stay safe.
    Options
    Yes the best of luck to all of you on the east coast.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Zippy just hit the basement for fear of being impaled by a tree limb.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Zippy just hit the basement for fear of being impaled by a tree limb.
    ...that or a flying vertical gyros spit.
    Options
    It can happen! Wish he had just used the turkey fryer thing I told him to five years ago. Sharp edges can hurt

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• LongboardR
    Options
    Be safe! Thoughts are with everyone up there. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Ugh. Just lost power and it has sounded like a train has been going by for the past 2 hours. I have over 100k-worth of medication in my fridge(I work in Baltimore and we get samples to give to needy patients. I volunteered to bring them home during the storm after a fire-caused power outage last year caused us to lose 125k worth of samples; we have no way to know if we lose power at work) I now have a question:

I need to keep this stuff below 45 degrees so I loaded the fridge with medical-grade cold paks used for shipping(about 8). I am guessing I have about 8 hours before I need refrigeration or a Quixotic adventure for ice. Does this sound like a good estimate? The fridge is an SxS in the basement(beer fridge). I'd guess about 14 cubic ft.

• nolaegghead
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Ugh. Just lost power and it has sounded like a train has been going by for the past 2 hours. I have over 100k-worth of medication in my fridge(I work in Baltimore and we get samples to give to needy patients. I volunteered to bring them home during the storm after a fire-caused power outage last year caused us to lose 125k worth of samples; we have no way to know if we lose power at work) I now have a question:

I need to keep this stuff below 45 degrees so I loaded the fridge with medical-grade cold paks used for shipping(about 8). I am guessing I have about 8 hours before I need refrigeration or a Quixotic adventure for ice. Does this sound like a good estimate? The fridge is an SxS in the basement(beer fridge). I'd guess about 14 cubic ft.

Do you have a Maverick - something battery operated to monitor the temp without opening it?  If you have a manual thermometer that works in that range, put it in a glass of water and check it when the power comes back on. 

Don't open unless necessary.  Do any of your neighbors have a generator where you could run a power cord to your fridge?  Or, if any of them do have a working fridge, perhaps you can put the medication in it.

Good luck - you can run a fridge that size on a $300 generator - maybe your office may consider that expenditure good insurance after the second +$100,000 loss from a power outage.  Anyway, good luck - hope it comes back on before you have to search for power/ice. 

Speaking from experience here - you generally can't drive very far after a hurricane until the roads clear (downed trees, etc.)  Take a chain saw and if you have a tire patch kit and pump if you drive anywhere.  I think I got about 20-30 nails in my tires after Katrina. 
    Options
    Eggcelsior, I'm sitting on the other coast but have a bit of experience in the refrigeration repair industry. While I can't give you absolutes without actually being there or knowing more I think I can help. If the cold packs take up most of the space in the fridge around the medicine, rather than air taking up that space, you are in good shape. If they were first frozen, so much the better. Most refrigerators are set to maintain 38 degrees. 45 degrees is only seven degrees above that, not a lot. That being said, what is the basement temperature? I'm assuming relatively low so there will not be a lot of heat gain on the fridge.

My best advice is to keep the door closed. Every door opening lets the cold air drop out and accelerates the heat gain. This is why the more mass you've added with the cold packs the better. Bottom line, assuming the above, I think you should be good for 8 hours. Hope this helps more than confuses.
    LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • Optiontrader
    Options
    Our thoughts are with all of you who are being affected.  Keep us posted.
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)