Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Brined chicken, turkey and chops- Charcuterie Style

I've been itching to break in my new copy of Charcuterie so I thought I would try a few simple brine recipes to start. I did a poultry brine with 3 bone in chicken breasts and a bone in Turkey breast. I also did a pork brine for some porterhouse chops.

Here is the poultry brine on the stove:
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Once the brine cooled and was refrigerated, I brined everything for 2 hours. After 2 hrs, I air dried everything for 24 hrs in the fridge:

After the drying process, I put the the bird on the egg around 450 indirect with a chunk of cherry:

The finished yard bird:

The finished turkey:

After the bird was done, I took out the Platesetter and cranked it up to 600 for a quick sear of the chops. After the sear, I threw on a chunk of apple and choked it down for a smoky finish:

The trifecta:

The yardbird:

Big Bird:

The chop:

The wrap up: best chicken breasts I have ever made. Juice poured out when I cut the breast. Turkey was amazing but I would leave it in the brine for 3 hrs next time so it would be as flavorful as the chicken. Makes sense as it was much larger than the chicken breasts. The chops were great too, so juicy. Those will be served with a tarragon mustard sauce when I do them for real.

Seemed like a lot of trouble for chicken and turkey but I will probably never do them any other way again. Amazing difference in the moistness of the bird.

Enjoy, centex out.

Comments

• Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,902
    I agree the brineing process is well worth the eggfort.  Great looking pieces of food.
  • Let it be known, that TFJ (the real photog in the house) took the blurry pork chop pic. She was trying not to cast a shadow.

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 15,351
    That looks great CT.  I just read the basic brine chapter in Ruhlman's book a few days ago.  I'm planning on brining a practice turkey before the real thing next month.

• Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    I'm with you on always doing them that way....perfect every time. Nice work CT.
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,310
    Great color on the chicken and turkey. Brined chicken is my favorite flavor profile for it, plus it takes the smoke to a different level. Thanks for sharing!
  • I'm with you on always doing them that way....perfect every time. Nice work CT.

bacon is next. I'll be hitting you up for some pointers

You're on the verge of being hooked!!! After bacon, it's all over...you'll soon have all kinds of meat hanging in your basement! :-&
  • You're on the verge of being hooked!!! After bacon, it's all over...you'll soon have all kinds of meat hanging in your basement! :-&

That's the problem, we generally don't have basements in TX. I'm looking for a cool dry place to hang stuff as we speak.

Dark closet in a spare room? Garage if there's not big temp fluctuations?
  • Dark closet in a spare room? Garage if there's not big temp fluctuations?

Garage is bad. I'll find a spot though. I'm not going to let my wife's clothes get in the way of cured meats :))

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,359
    Ladies and Gentlemen I would like to introduce stike light

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Ladies and Gentlemen I would like to introduce stike light

Well Steven, Technically, I am heavier than Stike but if you want to live your life with your head in the sand suit yourself. I've created some technical drawings to demonstrate my point and written a sonnet about how you are wrong,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,oh crap, it's already started

You start quoting James Joyce and I'm coming down there. Sartre, Homer, or Dante as well!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,347
    edited October 2012
    Mighty Quinn do you consider a 45 degree swing in temp a big fluctuation?  Our house was built into the side of a hill.  The plans were to use the crawl space under the garage stairs (surrounded by concrete and limestone) to store our wine.  After our first summer and monitoring the temp we abandon that idea.
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
  • ^:)^  ^:)^  ^:)^
    C-T that is a great cook and brining bird is well worth the effort.  Which  charcuterie book do you have?
  • ^:)^  ^:)^  ^:)^
    C-T that is a great cook and brining bird is well worth the effort.  Which  charcuterie book do you have?

Ruhlman

Well, I just made a gallon of brine and threw two spatchcocked yard birds in.  Sadly, I need to re-arrange stuff in the shop fridge to fit the damn container.  It's huge.

Mighty Quinn do you consider a 45 degree swing in temp a big fluctuation?  Our house was built into the side of a hill.  The plans were to use the crawl space under the garage stairs (surrounded by concrete and limestone) to store our wine.  After our first summer and monitoring the temp we abandon that idea.

45 degrees over the course of a day or seasonally?
    ^:)^  ^:)^  ^:)^

Ruhlman
    The braesola is excellent, pig cheek is over the top good!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• doubledouble Posts: 1,214
    I have a buddy that's giving me his 250 btl wine fridge. I could never have that much wine around so it's getting turned into a meat locker! Can't wait.
    Lynnwood WA
    Fridge might be too cold. You want 60* and up from what I understand. I am known to be wrong often though

Steve 

Caledon, ON

edited October 2012
    It's a wine storage cabinet not a fridge has a temp control unit in that can regulate from 50 up to 65. So it is right in the perfect range with zero temp fluctuation which apparently will be great. I will be sure to post lots of pics and info when that starts.
    Lynnwood WA
    You are right then but you said fridge. ;)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Dark closet in a spare room? Garage if there's not big temp fluctuations?

45 degrees over the course of a day or seasonally?
    It can be within 24 hours, depending on the wind direction and if the barbed wire fence is blown down.  Seriously, we have an "all weather smart" house and in the winter the heater and the AC may cycle on within the same day.  
    I did indeed say fridge first I will be sure to have an extra whiskey tonight for my sins :-)
    Lynnwood WA
    Say ten hail bge's and have a whisky or two as well and ye shalt be forgiven

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,861
    Dude, that looks pretty good. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • See, I've gotta have props in my pics cause I don't cook things that look that good!!! =D>

XLBGE 
    I hate, when I go to bed, that my hands smell like I chopped onions.  (that's a non sequitur - I'm actually brining now and I'm also impared)  :D

• DocWonmugDocWonmug Posts: 266
    GREAT looking food and brine. Can you give us the recip for the brine? Thanks.
    LBGE