Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ancho Chili Pepper

BENTE
BENTE Posts: 8,337

for the last couple years i have tried finding ancho chili pepper in a powder form. i have looked at every grocery store i have been in. i even looked at a local mexican grocery store. still no find i did find dried ancho chilies. am i missing something or should i just go ahead and make some out of the peppers?and if so anyone have a idea how is the best way to make it? i believe i have all the hardware including a morter and pestal and a old coffee grinder that i generally use on whole spices.

thanks

and btw i like the new look of the forum if it isnt new to you it is to me so whatever i did or someoneelse did looks alot better ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

Comments

• FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    Terry, check out Penzeys.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysancho.html

I use it on a really good grilled corn dish.

fc
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Amazon has it, and I'm sure Penzey's would too.  
    Out here all the grocery stores have a mexican ingredient section, some of them feature 20 or 30 different kinds of ground chiles, spices, etc.  (don't know about South Carolina...)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• BENTE
    yea i have used them before to get blues hog before i found a place here in town that carries it. but i kinda wanted to smell it or taste it without spending a arm and a leg sending ups more $$. i have never even tried it but everyone says it is soooo good wanted to get my own opinion. thanks for the link tho. everytime i have had a recepie that calls for it i have just used mccormicks chili powder which i know is NOT the same thing.

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Bente, I just made ancho powder by roasting the peppers in a dry skillet and then gave it a whirl in the food processor. I got a real nice powder. You need to make sure the chilies a really dry befor trying to make powder.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • BENTE
    ok thanks that sounds like that is easy enough for me.i will try to do it this weekend! thanks again

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• I have some from Penzey's on my spice rack right now. If you don't have one nearby, check out penzeys.com
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Go to Penzeys and spend 35 bucks to get free shipping. I bought the bold taco mix, English prime rib rub, anchor powder and hot chocolate mix(SWMBO bribe). They threw in their sandwich spread for free.
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Williams Sonoma also carries it.
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • BENTE

it looks like the closest penzeys is about 2 hours away i dont get to atlanta much anymore but there is a williams sonoma about 35 min from my house as i recall it isn't very big but i just may shoot over there next thursday on my way home from charlotte. but if i get time this weekend i may try making my own you know to giv it a try although i may do it in a oven or on a egg since i'm planning on roasting some pumpkins this weekend..

thanks everyone

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

Terry,

I have it in McCormicks. Maybe you need to squat down a bit when you are in the spice section. As everyone else said you can dry fry or bake the chilis and whirr them in the food processor. I like that better than the bottled stuff myself.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BENTE
    Botch said:
    Amazon has it, and I'm sure Penzey's would too.  
    Out here all the grocery stores have a mexican ingredient section, some of them feature 20 or 30 different kinds of ground chiles, spices, etc.  (don't know about South Carolina...)

sorry i missed your post somehow Botch. we have a pretty good mexican population but only a couple of mexican stores i have been to two of them. one of them supplies a resturant that serves some of the best real mexican i have ever found. it is about 3 miles from my house they may have been out i will go look again. proabably alot easier than going to williams sonoma

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE

Terry,

I have it in McCormicks. Maybe you need to squat down a bit when you are in the spice section. As everyone else said you can dry fry or bake the chilis and whirr them in the food processor. I like that better than the bottled stuff myself.

listen little guy i know you are alot closer to the ground than i am. so you may be right it could be right there. they just dont carry it on the top shelf :)  hey been meaning to talk to you sorry i missed your call after the mountian fest, and you said not to call back. but we planning on doing some pumpkin roasting/carving this weekend so if you get a chance tomorrow hollar at me i saved your number so i dont ask WTF is that calling from michigan again :)  i shoulld be around

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I think I have your number but mine is 905 301 1131 if you wanna call. Like to have a chat man!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Penzey's or Fiesta Bolner https://www.fiestaspices.com/index.asp or make your own.  If you have trouble getting the pepper's let me know.  A shipment could be arranged.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • BENTE
    yea that is the one i got i will hollar tomorrow. been too busy to do much but keep up with this thread and parker and make dinner tonight.  and since i drove seven hours and worked today i will not be up late at all tonight   :D

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• texbagger
    texbagger Posts: 90
    edited October 2012
    +1 on the skillet and food processer.  Instead of a food processor I bought a small coffee grinder which I use only for grinding spices.  I now have 2 small coffee grinders as I don't want to use my spice grinder for coffee, afraid of the resultant spicy coffee grounds! Yes, they are clearly labeled with a piece of masking tape and a sharpie! Whooo hoooo! 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I have a dedicated kitchen aid coffee grinder I use to grind up lump for carbon black powder (use it in woodworking).
    I have a dedicated kitchen aid coffee grinder I use to grind up lump for carbon black powder (use it in woodworking).
    Gaaah, are you one of those ebony fakers?!?!?!?  BAN HIM!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• I put the ancho chilis in a 300 degree oven for 10 minutes.  Take them out and LET THEM COOL.  They will be brittle.  I then put them in a paper bag and grind them in a spice grinder as needed.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • BENTE
    I put the ancho chilis in a 300 degree oven for 10 minutes.  Take them out and LET THEM COOL.  They will be brittle.  I then put them in a paper bag and grind them in a spice grinder as needed.

now i have directions on the way i'm going to try Wooohooo!!!

thanks to everyone else who commented and gave directions i appreciate it

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb