Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicago Deep Dish

Last night my wife said she wanted something different for her birthday dinner.  I'm experienced with NY style...San Marzano, Caputo flour, cold dough rise, raised stone.  She asked for Chicago style which as a north easterner is hard for me to consider pizza.   So I gave it a shot.  I used the book Pizza by Diane Morgan, which is a great resource.  This sausage and garlic pie was cooked at 450ish in cast iron.  I layered mozz, sausage, garlic, mozz, (cooked) sauce, then parm.  It worked well.  Even if it isn't really pizza.

Comments

• Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Looks good.
    Edina, MN

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Looks good to me.  I prefer chicago deep dish to the NY style.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    wow that looks tasty. i learned a few things from vaidailia 1. he has a awesome crust recepie. he also taught me to make a deep dish in a spring form pan it has made life alot more easier when getting the pizza out of the pan. just a couple tips for ya use them if you want to. it is about time to make deep dish again i have been getting the ny style down. i been doing a pretty good job of it :-bd  if i dont say so myself!!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    CI on the stone?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Wow, looks great whatever you want to call it. So, do you cook the sausage first?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    It looks okay but the crust is way to thick. It seems you used to much dough for making the crust. Griffin yes you do cook the sausage first as it will not cook completely in the pie.
    I myself prefer the Stuffed Pizza served at Giordanno's in Chicago over the standard deep dish. I really need to make one if only had the time.
  • Zooker
    Zooker Posts: 17
    Yes, crust was too thick - especially on the side.  With all of that extra dough I should have tried a stuffed.  All in all a fun experience.  The dough was easy to work with and shape.  

Instead of the raw tomatoes, basil and garlic that I use for Neapolitan, this called for a low simmering sauce that was nice and thick.  I used two mild italian sausages which were sautéed ahead of time.  I did a second pie that was filled with green pepper, baby bello's and onion.

It might have been a risk to experiment with something new for the wife's bday dinner, but everyone was happy with the result.