Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib questions

Options
apphunter
apphunter Posts: 17
edited October 2012 in Beef

I did a small standing rib roast for about 4 or 5 of us last Christmas and it turned out fantastic.  Thus I have been drafted to do it again this year for Christmas.  I do have some questions though because instead of cooking for 4 or 5 I will be cooking for approximately 17 this year.

How big of a roast do I need?  I remember reading that one rib will serve approximately 2 people but I thought that most rib roast come with 7 ribs.  So will I need one whole roast and a smaller partial?  That might work out because one of the guest is pregnant and has to have her meat at least medium.  Don't worry that is not her typical preferance. 

I dry aged last year's roast in the normal fridge prior to cooking and I am planning on using an old dorm fridge to age it again this year I was hoping to go for about 45 days.

I really have some questions about the logistics.  What time should I put the roast on to eat around 1200hrs or 1300hrs.  We will be going to a Christmas eve service at midnight and I have a BBQ guru so maintaing temp is not really an issue.  I think I should pull it out early evening on Christmas eve to let it come up to room temp prior to roasting.  How long of a rest does such a large cut of meat need 30min-60min?

Does anyone have a good au jus recipe?  Last year I used Alton Brown's from  his good eats episode and I wasn't too pleased.  I think I screwed up because I used a Pinot Noir because that was what I had on had and the sauce tasted too much like the grapes in the  wine.

Comments

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    For the au jus I go to our local restaurant and buy just the jus. They have the best and it's cheap and full proof.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !