Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

prepping cherry logs to smoke

brycosbrycos Posts: 137
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I called a tree removal guy and asked him if he had any fruit wood that I could have.  He brought over 2 huge cherry logs (2'x2').  He said they had been cut down last winter and stored  outside stacked/uncovered at his house.  My plan is to split them and cut into 4" pieces.  Is there anything to be concerned about?

Comments

• pezking7ppezking7p Posts: 132
    I think just to be safe, you should send some of your pieces to me for testing.  I'll run them through my Safety Margin Oxidative Ketone Examination Reactor to make sure everything is okie dokie for you to use.

About 10 pieces should suffice for my test equipment. 
  • brycosbrycos Posts: 137
    I'll send them out today!
    ;))
  • pezking7ppezking7p Posts: 132
    haha, I've been taught that wood is good to use as long as it fits in your smoker.  Fresh, old, bark, whatever.

I haven't died yet.