Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Transporting XLBGE for a cook off

FlamethrowerFlamethrower Posts: 493
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Need advice transporting XLBGE for my 1st cook off,Kinda scared because it is heavy, Need some words of encouragement,Thanks in advance
LET'S EAT

Comments

• dweebs0rdweebs0r Posts: 516
    I dont know if this will help but people have mentioned using the "potlifter" in the past.  It is only rated to 200 lbs so I would be very careful.  This may help you move it around after transport.

http://www.amazon.com/PotLifter-200-Pound-Gardening-Heavy-Lifting/dp/B002ECFFJ8

-Jody Newell (LBGE & a mini BGE!)
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 5,001
    I take mine apart and pack it in my truck. I'm 6'1", 220, and 31 years old. It aint easy by yourself but it can be done. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • 2 man job, easy peasy.  Be careful.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Sgt93Sgt93 Posts: 704
    The thought alone makes me sweat! 
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A bunch of Webers - A bunch of accessories - Ceramic Grill Works 2-Tier 
    Follow me on Twitter & Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Do ya take off the lid?

LET'S EAT
  • Rolling EggRolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    As Travis said, I take mine apart and load it with me and one more. Once in the back of the truck load the guts back into it. Be careful opening the dome with the guts out because it will tip backwards very easy. Once the egg is back together, I ratchet strap it to the side of the bed.
    edited October 2012
    May have confused you with the "take it apart" comment. I meant take the guts out. Heres my truck loaded with 3 XL's, headed to the Jack last year.
  • SandBillySandBilly Posts: 227
    I set my large on an old tire and strap it down with ratchet straps. The tire adds enough support to keep it from taking any impacts to the bottom and keeps it elevated off of my truck bed.
  • Rolling Egg,That takes some big Eggs there!!!
    LET'S EAT
  • DocWonmugDocWonmug Posts: 298
    Definitely take the guts out. Still a 2 person job.
    LBGE
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 15,909
    SandBilly said:

I set my large on an old tire and strap it down with ratchet straps. The tire adds enough support to keep it from taking any impacts to the bottom and keeps it elevated off of my truck bed.

Smart...

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN