Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can't find lump charcoal

tybish
tybish Posts: 61
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Went to find some lump charcoal today and had no success. Any other Options until I can get some?

Comments

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    If there is an Ace Hardware near you they can usually order some Wicked Good Weekend Warrior for you and get it shipped to the store in 2 or 3 days. I am not a fan of Cowboy lump, but Home Depot & Lowes around here usually have some of that around all of the time. One last thing is if you have a particular brand in mind check their website. They will often have a list of local dealers. You may turn up some places you didn't know about. Having said that, call first before making a long drive. Hope something here helps.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • tybish
    Yeah. I typically use royal oak lump from wal mart. However I was surprised to see they were not stocking it anymore. Thankfully I had enough in the fire box to get me through tonight until I can get something ordered!
  • Red bag Royal oak at walapart is a little better then cowboy but not great. I think it's in the handling. It's always small pieces for me and burns way to quickly. Menards sells the green royal oak which has been solid. Earth fare has their own good lump. GFS has lump which I read here is royal oak but haven't tried. Local hardware stores are always worth a shot or local general store. Some fireplace stores carry grills and charcoal too. If you have an ace, then def order some wicked.
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Most of the regular grocery stores around me are now stocking lump when they weren't just a few months ago.  I also often use the Royal Oak from Walmart.  I saw it there a week ago but they had moved it.  When you walk into the garden center from the outside, there is a small shelving unit right next to the door (you have to turn around to see it after you go in).  I have seen it there in two different walmarts.  The first time I went in and didn't see it where it usually is and I asked a clerk who said they didn't have any.  I then went into the store and did some shopping and then came back out through the garden center and that is when I saw it.  There was a different clerk there who told me that small shelving section next to the door was where they kept the out of season merchandise that they would keep in stock through the off-season.  Hopefully it won't go away!!
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • tybish
    It was always convienent to get the red royal oak just because I live in rural area. I was just telling my fiancé I really wanna try the wicked lump. Her response was I don't care what you get as long as you keep feeding me! Lol
  • I used Publix Greenwise lump.  It was pretty good.  But I still stick with WG.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Wow, I guess I am pretty lucky..in these parts Grove Lump is always available, not to mention I know the owners so it is always available.  I still did stock up on Royal Oak this summer when it was on sale at Menards.
  • tyenic1
    tyenic1 Posts: 150
    My local Walmart was out of Royal Oak for the last month. Much to my relief went their today and they just got a new shipment in. Not sure what the problem was, but I picked up a few bags, just in case it happens again.
  • If you have a Wegmans grocery They have lump and I like it a lot. $5.99 / 10 lb. bag.
  • Our Wally world has not had any red RO all summer long.:-(
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • I picked up 6 bags of RO at Walmart two weeks ago.  They've got their Christmas decorations out, so they've moved the charcoal.  I found mine in the outside plants section.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• SandBilly
    SandBilly Posts: 227
    My Wally is seasonal only, if I used RO much, I would have to stock up before winter. Their lump has been much smaller than usual so I quit buying it.
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    If you have the Kroger grocery store chain in your area, their store brand lump charcoal is really Royal Oak.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    Publix has good lump as compared to BGE, for a good price.
    LBGE
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I've been pretty lucky that I can find it pretty easily at local grocery stores (Kroger, Publix).  They only seem to carry 3 or 4 bags at a time on the shelves in the off season.  I can also find it at Ace Hardware, Home depot, or Lowes.  Pretty sure Wally-wold is seasonal. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Wal Mart here only carries lump through the summer. I asked them last winter and they did say they would order a pallet in for me, but I had to buy the whole pallet. I would have done it, except I started ordering Humphrey in bulk.

Mark Annville, PA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I've used briquettes in a pinch.  Doesn't hurt the egg.
    ...as long as you don't use briquettes that been soaked in lighter fluid, ala "Matchlight."
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    ShedFarm said:
    ...as long as you don't use briquettes that been soaked in lighter fluid, ala "Matchlight."
    hahaha....yeah you right.  (unless you like the taste of napalm in the morning)
    ShedFarm said:
    hahaha....yeah you right.  (unless you like the taste of napalm in the morning)

Tastes like...... Victory!
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    I used Publix Greenwise lump.  It was pretty good.  But I still stick with WG.
    Our Publix in SC has a lump called "Western" which I bought recently and it had too many tiny pieces 
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • tybish
    Good call on the ace hardware. They are ordering me some wicked good. I'm pretty happy about this I've heard nothing but good things about it.