Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First brisket the "Travis method"

Options
Zooker
Zooker Posts: 17
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Finally getting around to posting instead of just hunting around the forum trying to find answers to (smoking) life's most important questions...  I bought a brisket from the butcher yesterday.  Choice 13lbs.  Tonight I tried to get as close to the marinade and rub as I could find.  The McCormick's Grill Mates rubs don't promise much by the look of the packaging, but I've found them to be ok.  

One question:  after trimming fat down to the 1/4 inch desired thickness my 13 lb beauty was 9.5 lbs.  I guess that's going to reduce my cook from approx 19.5 to around 14.5, right?

I loaded up the firebox with some good tennis/baseball sized lump and got it stabilized at 300.  Since I put the 5 chunks of oak and the platesetter in I've been struggling to get it back up.  Right now the daisy has all eyes open and the vent is 2/3 open.  I'm surprised I can't get it back up.  Just cracked the daisy wheel to the left.  Let's see what happens...I don't want to burn through all my lump during the night...

Looking for any advice from the sages, gurus and otherwise wise on how I'm doing so far.  Any glaring mistakes?  Thanks!

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    looks good to me

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Don't chase the temp.  After you put in the brisket, give it an hour and it should be close tot the temp that you had stabilized before.

Adding the platesetter and brisket and pan with liquid means there is a lot more mass to be heated than when you just had the charcoal in the egg.
  • Zooker
    Zooker Posts: 17
    Options
    Here's the final. It took 7 hours because The temp never really went below 325... It feels very tender though and the thermometer slid in and out very easily. Going to reheat tonight and serve on some nice Italian rolls brought down from a NY bakery. The rest will be chopped for chili later this week. Thanks for the heads up Dugan. Chasing the temp was my problem. If I knew it was going to cook this quickly I would have put it on this morning and gotten a good night sleep!