Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Thanks Mickey

Austin  EggheadAustin Egghead Posts: 3,342
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Your coffee rub is the best. Thanks for the recipe. 
Did a spatch'd chicken (about 2 lbs) on the small tonight and used your rub. Didn't think to take pictures. 
I pulled the skin away form the meat and sprinkled the rub under and over the skin....the skin came out crispy and really favorable....we were fighting for the last piece. 
I used both the small woo and the mini woo to get the chicken higher in the dome. I think that was the key to the crispy skin. 
This cook is a keeper.
Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
·

Comments

• MickeyMickey Posts: 16,422
    Glad you liked it Joan. Thanksgiving is not far off. Linda will not eat a steak w/o it.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,821
    I still have  not tried his yet. I need to though. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • Need that coffee rub recipe.  Coffee rubs is often used and are loved over here.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
    ·
  • Here you go Dave:

Mickey's Coffee Rub
    INGREDIENTS: 
    1/4 cup salt 
    1/2 cup brown sugar 
    1/2 cup ancho-chili powder 
    1/2 cup expresso ground (very fine) Coffee. (Has red,yellow&green label)
    1/4 cup garlic powder 
    1/4 cup ground black pepper 
    Procedure: 
    1 Mix all and keep in an air tight container. 

Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,122

Here's another one.

Here's my recipe;

1 Tbs. finely ground espresso coffee beans
    1 Tbs. pure ancho chile powder
    1 tsp. natural cocoa powder
    1 tsp. granulated garlic
    1/2 tsp. ground cumin
    1/2 tsp. brown sugar
    1/2 tsp. ground fennel seed
    1/8 tsp. ground allspice
    4 tsp. kosher salt
    2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
    4 boneless rib eye steaks 1 1/2" thick
    Directions
    rub 1 1/2 Tbs. of mixture all over each steak. Grill to desired doneness

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,862
    Staying on subject:
    Rub, "Kona Koast Rainbow Rub", #3, W/Worcestershire Sauce, Richard Fl

My friend, Al Katz-- AKA Hungry Man from the BGE Forum, recently returned from some "R" & "R" in Hawaii summer '09 and brought back some Hawaiian Sea Salt and Kona Coffee beans. Asked me to make a coffee based rub. Did not have enough Kona coffee, (too D@%* expensive), so added a few others to make a decent size batch. Started with the great recipe Molly Shark has been sharing for several years and one found on the internet, made a few modifications.Thanks Al and Molly

INGREDIENTS:  
    24 Ozs    Kona Koffee & Brazalian Arabica Beans, Ground fine  
    8 Ozs.    Hawaiian Sea Salt, White, add salt after the other ingredients so as not to over salt the rub  
    20 Ozs.    Turbindo Sugar  
    4 Ozs.    Indian River Rainbow Pepper or regular restaurant grind black pepper  
    8 Ozs    Black Pepper, Restaurant Grind  

36 Ozs.    Legg's or Char-Broil Pulled Pork Rub, or Pork rub of Choice  
    4 Ozs    Chipotle, Fine Ground  
    6 Ozs    Red Pepper, Fine Grind  
    8 Ozs    Worcestershire Sauce, Powder  
    2 Ozs    Hickory Smoke, Powder  

Procedure:
    1 Measure each item by weight. If not fine ground, run thru a coffee grinder. Each item by itself. Screen thru a vegetable wire strainer to get larger pieces out- re-grind them. Mix all together.

Yield: 7 1/2 Lbs

·
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    edited October 2012
    Mine is pretty much like Mickey's, but I don't use Ancho powder, I use regular coffee, finely ground.  Also, for fajitas, I put some Liquid Smoke in.(laugh if you will, but the fast cook of the flap steak doesn't allow enough time to get a smokey taste from wood chunks, and I like that taste in my fajitas).

I don't measure any of the ingredients out, so each time I make it, it's probably a little different.

Sometimes, simplicity is best.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·