Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

venison jerky

Options
Bmeier
Bmeier Posts: 16
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
has anyone made venion jerky or any type of jerky on their BGE? I have a digi Q and raised racks so I think this should be doable with a little help.

thanks!

Bob 

Comments

• Outlaw77
    Outlaw77 Posts: 71
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I have done jerky about 5 times. Egg works great. These were done with a dry cure at 200 grate temp for about 4 hrs. I used a stoker for temp control. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Smokin_Trout
    Options
    I have done beef jerky a few times. Getting ready to try beef tongue jerky next week. I have two different marinades. Let me know if you want them.
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Options
    @outlaw77 please do not take this the wrong way but that jerky looks a bit thick. Is it? How do you 'slice' it and what cut of meat?
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I have done beef jerky a few times. Getting ready to try beef tongue jerky next week. I have two different marinades. Let me know if you want them.
    If you wouldn't mind, I would like to know about your marinades.
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited October 2012
    Options
    I make jerky frequently, and I freeze the meat lightly and run it through the meat slicer.  I cut across the grain, although there's a camp that cuts with the grain.  You can slice up to 1/4".  I've experimented with different thicknesses, I tend to like the thicker stuff better. 

The important consideration is, whatever thickness you cut, do them all consistently thick.   If you don't, you'll have some pieces too dry and others too wet, or you'll have to pull the thin slices out faster, babysitting the whole batch.  To me, overly dry jerky is not enjoyable to eat. Wet jerky doesn't have much of a shelf life without refrigeration.  If you cut across the grain, that quarter inch thick piece will stretch out to 1/8" thick if you want.

I prefer the taste of jerky that's dessicated but not cooked, so I don't do it in the egg.  I use curing powder #1 and cold smoke a little, then dry on racks in the oven at low temp.  You can use a fan to dry jerky. Alton Brown has an interesting method where he loads up the meat between a stack of air conditioning filters and puts the stack on a box fan. 

In the old days, people would slice, season and salt (pepper to keep the flies off it) and let it air dry in the shade, in the field.  You really can't do it wrong if you salt and dry.
    Options
    Man Nola is there anything in the cooking world you don't have experience with :)
    Anderson, SC

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    My Dad had a real tasty jerky recipe.  Unfortunatly he has alzheimers and his brain is Spaghetti O's.  I'll look for it when I go see my Mom this weekend. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Options
    My Dad had a real tasty jerky recipe.  Unfortunatly he has alzheimers and his brain is Spaghetti O's.  I'll look for it when I go see my Mom this weekend. 
    I actually felt bad laughing at this because I didn't know if you meant for it to be funny or not.  My grandfather had it so I what it can do but 'his brain is Spaghetti O's' almost made me spit my milk!
    Anderson, SC

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    r270ba said:
    Man Nola is there anything in the cooking world you don't have experience with :)
    haha...plenty.  And a lot of my experience has resulted in abject failure.  ;)  Failure = learn what not to do.
    r270ba said:
    I actually felt bad laughing at this because I didn't know if you meant for it to be funny or not.  My grandfather had it so I what it can do but 'his brain is Spaghetti O's' almost made me spit my milk!

Don't feel bad.  My Dad's has been dead to my Mom & me for a couple years now.  His body just hasn't been brought up to speed on the situation yet.  We visit him once in a while and stay a few minutes and then leave.  He can't speak anymore and hasn't recognized me for over 3 years.  My Mom, of course, was the last person he forgot.  We try to find the humor, even black humor and it gives us an opportunity to spit in the devil's eye.

Spaghetti O's are funny because they're crappy!  There's just no two ways about that.  I'm glad you enjoyed. 

Flint, Michigan
  • Bmeier
    Bmeier Posts: 16
    Options
    any marinade recipes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
  • Smokin_Trout
    Options
    1 TEASPOON SALT 1/4 teaspoon pepper 1 teaspoon garlic powder 2 tablespoons worcestershire 2 tablespoon liquid smoke- I leave out when using the egg 1lb meat I try to keep egg at 200ish. Cook time depends on thickness of meat. I always store jerky In fridge. Good luck!
  • Marshall85
    Options
    Anyone made jerky with venison hamburger meat?