Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost Halloween and if you’re cooking on your EGG, you may end up with more people knocking on your door asking for pork chops than candy! In case you’re willing to share and want to please a crowd, we recommend warm Margherita Pizza, FGL’s Lemon Pepper Wings or our favorite, S’mores in a Cone!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

First Butt Question - Smoke chips

mb99zzmb99zz Posts: 182
edited October 2012 in Pork
Hi Guys,

Doing my first butt today and first real cook on a LBGE.  I have Western brand Apple and Miesquite chips.  I am thinking of using just the apple chips today.  Here are my questions for the eggsperts:

1).  For a 8lbs butt how many chips would you use to give it enough smoke flavor but not too much?  
2).  Given my two types (Apple and Mesquite) would you recommend just the apple or mixing the two? 
3).  Do you recommend having the smoke chips on the first part of the cook only (e.g. the first few hours)? 

Thanks!

Comments