Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Questions about installing nomex gasket

Options
Rafael
Rafael Posts: 6
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have the self adhesive gasket. Does it need to be put in the dryer or oven to preshrink?
Is there any reason to install it on both halves? Seems to me that just putting it on the bottom half would be enough to ensure a seal.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited October 2012
    Options
    You want to scrape off your old gasket, sand off any old adhesive, clean all the grease and oil off with acetone or alcohol. 

Then apply the gasket to both hemispheres.  It's not thick enough for just one - the Rutland is. 

Close it, do the dollar bill test.  If it fails, loosen the ring lag bolts and adjust until it does.  Then let the weight of the top set the gasket adhesive overnight. 

The next couple of cooks keep it below 400F.

Tip - the gasket scrapes off easier when the egg is warm

Search on youtube a video on nomex gasket replacement for the BGE.

You don't need to preshrink it.  Not the one with the self-adhesive at least.
    Options
    +1 on no need to pre-shrink the self adhesive gasket.  I used the 3M 77 adhesive spray in addition to the adhesive already on the nomex gasket.  I replaced the gasket on the base only about a year ago; the original top gasket is pretty much charred remains at this point, but I have no issues with maintaining low temps for hours on end.  
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range