Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Regarding how soon to apply rub to a butt...

Options
TDAuburn
TDAuburn Posts: 14
edited October 2012 in Pork
I have heard from several people that if you apply the rub to the butt too soon (overnight or really anything much beyond and hour) you will "cure" the meat and it will taste more like ham.  I have also seen and heard of many people who apply the rub very early or overnight to let the flavor sink in more.  So who is right?  Or is it just a matter of preference?  Appreciate everyone's thought!

Comments

• cortguitarman
    Options
    I do mine the day before. It is delicious and tastes nothing like ham.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Options
    I do mine the day before. It is delicious and tastes nothing like ham.

Over night for me as well, not even close to ham.

Edina, MN

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    im too lazy to make the mess the day before, rub goes on, light the fire, in it goes. now alot of people put it on the night before right on the fat, now that makes no sense to me, get rid of the fat and put the rub on the meat, i hate seeing people slip all that fat off when pulling with all that rub and toss it away
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    edited October 2012
    Options
    Hot and fast, low and slow, fat up/down/off, more and more I think BBQ is just about how you like it.  Like you said, preference.  (As long as you don't prefer to boil your ribs
    =)) )

For me, I like to put mine on when I start up the Egg. 

edit:  spelling
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Hot and fast, low and slow, fat up/down/off, more and more I think BBQ is just about how you like it.  Like you said, preference.  (As long as you don't prefer to boil your ribs
    =)) )

For me, I like to put mine on when I start up the Egg. 

edit:  spelling

+1 Because I'm too lazy to fool with something for two days when the taste will be the same as fooling with it for one day.
    Flint, Michigan
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Night before if I can....there's no ham taste
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN