Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

large egg handle

deenet
deenet Posts: 11
edited October 2012 in EGG Table Forum
My large egg has a small handle. I see that people have larger handles on their eggs. Where can I get one?

Comments

• Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    They changed the handle about a year ago. From what I've seen the holes on your ring won't line up with the new handle.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I've seen custom made handles....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    Size doesn't matter!
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    That's what's she said...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I have the smaller one and it works great.  I can lift the lid with one hand!
  • This is the guy that did my handle and he does AWESOME work.  Pretty much if you have an idea or picture he can make it.  My handle is the one pictured on the website.  You will not be disappointed in his work.

http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/2011/10/customs-made-bbq-handles-review.html
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited October 2012
    Here's some info on the different handles, handle assemblies, and band differences between this years model of Large vs older ones. The old stock handles are 3 3/4" long and the new stock handles are 9" in length. The handle assembly (metal bracket you attach the handles to and attach to the band) greatly increased in size to accommodate the new large handle and now attaches to the band with 4 clinch studs (2 per side). I know of three different custom handle makers: Danny (link provided by Dave In FL above), Sparky (contact him at greeneggers forum), and Marty (http://www.amlwoodart.com/). I would imagine Danny & Sparky could craft a handle to fit either size handle assembly to whatever length you specify. You can order the appropriate size from amlwoodart. Here's a pic of different handles: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos As for the bands, the old band has a hole on each side that lines up with the new handle assembly's outer holes. To attach the other 2 clinch studs you'd have to drill 2 holes in the old band. Here's some pics of an older band sitting above the new band so you can see the holes align: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos They don't appear to align perfectly in these pics but they do. The distance between the outer holes on the new band is 14 3/16" or 36 cm center on center which is the same as the holes on the old band that were provided to attach side tables. @yumdinger posted a question the other day about buying a new wider assembly to fit a larger handle. I would suggest contacting a BGE dealer or BGE corporate to see if you can order the new handle assembly and 2 extra clinch studs and 2 extra 1/4" acorn nuts.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA