Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

LBGE got lots of use this weekend

Options
Solson005
Solson005 Posts: 1,911
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum

This weekend we decided to test out our new Two Tier Swing Rack Friday was a couple nice NY Strip Steaks, the new grate was perfect for getting a nice sear on the steaks!

Saturday we loaded up the Two Tier and had a appetizer  Egg-stravaganza! Moinkballs, ABTs, and Pig shots. It was the first time for moinkballs and all were great for some football watching snacks. 

Chili was for dinner but it was done on the stove top and I didn't get any pics, a great day with a nice win from the Sooners! 

Sunday we tried out some jerky for the first time using a few different methods we found on here and elsewhere. We had the lump in a coffee can in the middle of the egg with the DigiQ set to 160° for 9 hours. 

We were pretty happy with the result and will be trying different flavors again soon! 

For dinner we did some bone in Pork Chops rubbed with Bad Byron's Butt Rub indirect at 325° and they were so tender and juicy! I had forgotten how well they turn out on the egg and will be doing these more often. 

It was a fun weekend with a bunch of different things cooked on the egg and a "GRATE" use of the new swing rack! 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Looking good!

My daughter doesn't have any soccer games this weekend so hopefully I can have a very eggy weekend as well!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    Options
    Everything looks really great..nice job!!!!!
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • Baysidebob
    Options
    It all looks great.  +1 on the grill marks.  I use the lower grate by itself for steaks just to get those great marks.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • davejames0426
    Options
    Awesome looking cooks - I actually remove the top grate from my swing grate and place directly on top of the coals for a direct sear. Move to large rack to reat desired temp...... Works almost like the spider rig.....
    LBGE - Swing Grate - Platesetter - Pimaster110 - Pizza Stones - Maverick E732 - Thermapen - Dutch Ovens Abbeville, SC
  • CGW1
    Options
    @ davejames. Please post a pic the next time you do that...I'd like to see that. Better yet send me a pm, I don't wanna seem like I'm egging on sales. Thanks
  • davejames0426
    Options
    CGW1 said:
    @ davejames. Please post a pic the next time you do that...I'd like to see that. Better yet send me a pm, I don't wanna seem like I'm egging on sales. Thanks
    I will Franco - I started this talk so no pushing sales on your side..... Great product by the way....
    LBGE - Swing Grate - Platesetter - Pimaster110 - Pizza Stones - Maverick E732 - Thermapen - Dutch Ovens Abbeville, SC
  • CGW1
    Options
    Thank you. Happy to hear that your enjoying it and using it.
  • Solson005
    Options
    @YEMTrey weekends with little to do are great for Eggxperiments!

Thanks @CGW1 it is nice having lots more room to come up with different cooks!

@davejames0426 I want to see a pic of the next time! I might have to give it a try!
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    My weekend...filets, brisket and then pulled pork. Love the egg.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Solson005
    Options
    Looks pretty good @henapple thanks for sharing!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    @Solson005 that all looks great!  I am gonna have to try the bone in pork chops.  I don't think I have done those on the egg yet. 

@henapple yours looks great too.   

You both kept your eggs busy this weekend.  I'm sure many can relate...but I have 3 kids all in sports and it seems the wife and I are always going in 3 different directions.  I haven't had a good "egg-a-thon" weekend in a while.  Maybe November!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    My son didn't play fall ball this year and my daughter's dance team competition doesn't start till March so my weekends consist of Friday night HS football games, Saturday and Sunday...watching football, building stage props for the dance team and smoking cigars/pork.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DonWW
    DonWW Posts: 424
    Options
    Great stuff.  Candidate for eclectic weekend award.
    XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.